Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2005, 12:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Changing Fluval Biomax ceramic media

The manufacturer suggests that these things must be changed every 6 months. Does anyone know if this is really necessary? I don't see how these things can go bad. It sounds like something to get you to spend your money again on the product.

Old 01-09-2005, 12:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I simply rinse mine in old tank water and reuse! There is no reason to throw them away

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 07:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

over time the small pores that provide the large amount of surface area can get clogged, so that the surface area for the biofilter to live in is reduced. Always have mechanical filtering before the ceramic biofilter. Never remove it all at once, probably should never remove more than half. I've heard rinsing works well, but soonor or later I would think it should be replaced. Why not add some new stuff on top of the old stuff every 6 mos, when the compartment is full, get rid of the bottom layer to make room for the new stuff. This way you would be stretching out the life of the ceramic, and would never remove too much at a time. I think the manufacturer has good practice in mind, but boosting sales is probably a motivation too.

Tags
bio, changing, fluval, media, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com