Changing Gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hairball

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have an astablished tank and want to change the gravel what i would like to know is how do i get the good bacteria bank in to the new gravel? any ideas would be great :)

thanks

Buy one of those dividers for tanks, cut it so it is just over the gravel, take half of the old out and replace it with new. Wait 3 weeks and do the other side and then take the divider out and your fish never know

thanks for the idea d9hp its a really good 1 but the trouble is my tank is an odd shape so i can't get 1 to fit :( now i have read about putting some of the old gravel in the ends of stockings and laying that on the new gravel in the tank also using small amounts of new start for a bit of a kick start so i think i'll give that a try, luckly i only have a few fish so it fingers crossed this works :|

again thanks for the idea :)

When I changed my gravel I did what you are doing, I bought the filter media bags and put some of the old gravel in it to seed the tank. It seemed to work out well. I siphoned off the top of the tank water (don't vacuum the gravel!) and saved most of it, took all the gravel out, cleaned the tank, and set up the tank with the seed bags and old water.

Note: I'm sure I don't have to tell you this, but make sure you don't rinse the gravel you save, and make sure you keep it wet.

:) i know i can't rinse it but when you say keep it wet! should i use the water from the tank to keep it wet? :oops: i was going to use treated tap water also when you changed your gravel did you lose any fish? i love my babys to much to risk killing them :) should i take them out or would it be safer to leave them in the tank and just be gentle (i only have 1 tank upto now so they'd have to go in a bucket)
thank you very much for all your help

Keep as much of the old water as possible, in buckets only used for aquarium usage. Put your fish in these buckets too.

Use water from the tank to keep the old gravel wet. put in the new gravel, and do the stocking idea with some of your old gravel. Add back the old water, same as you would when setting up a new tank.

What kind of filter do you have? Do NOT change the filter medium when changing out the gravel. put the filter media in one of the buckets with the old water, that way the good bacteria on your filter will still be alive. Between that, and putting back some of the old gravel in a stocking like you said, you should be good. Test your water as if you had set up a new tank. you shouldn't go through an entire cycle, but you should test to make sure levels dont get out of hand. For the first 2 weeks, feed every other day, let the bacteria get established.

i have a rekord 70 with built in filter not sure of name, not sure also if its a problem that i have a new sailfin plec added sunday 1st and my betta is sadly showing sign's of white spot

Just a thought...would it be risky to use a sock for the gravel? (I'm thinking of one of my socks :eek2: ) I'm just thinking that any detergent used to wash the sock, or bleach, or dye from the fabric, might be hard on the fish depending on the tank size.

:) well i was going to go to shop and buy some new tights (very cheap) and use them as i would not like to be putting something in there after they've been near my feet lol

wouldn't an lfs carry something you can use?like maybe a fine mesh bag?that way you wouldn't have to worry about what type of dyes the tights are treated with.you really never know what will harm your fish.i'd be careful.
did you ever notice on the packages of ordinary household sponges(like the kind you wash dishes with),says specifically'not for aquarium use'?I believe they are treated with an anti-bacterial agent or something,but I was very surprised by the label warning.I only use pet store stuff in my tanks,but something as simple as a sponge,seems innocent enough,you'd never think would be so harmful.

it was my lfs that gave me the idea! we don't seem to get warnings like that over here it sunny england but i will check, thanks for the warning :)

Back
Top Bottom