Changing Gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andos99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
When I set up my 55 gallon tank about 6 months ago, I put in a nasty blue gravel that I regret now. In hind-sight, I wanted a more natural look, but I can't do this unless I change my gravel to something a little more natural looking. How do I do this without harming my fish or killing off all the helpful bacteria that already exists? I'm thinking, you would do it in sections at a time, but I'm not sure.....any opinions?

Hmm what you could do, since you are concerned about the bacteria... is empty out your tank... maybe 25% at a time (to let things settle and to not freak out your fish... and put your last 25% in a plastic bag and leave that in the tank after you add the new gravel.. that way that bacteria will "jump" on your new gravel n stuff

And, with the bacteria thats in ur filter, you should be okay *nod*

HTH some =o)

You shouldn't ahve any problems because as said before, your filter should already be filled with bacteria. I did the same thing and never saw even a mini-cycle.

i just moved my tank and i kept the filter like it was, but i changed the gravel to a more natural gravel (looks so much better by the way) and i put some of my old gravel in a panty hose and am using that to seed the water, so far no problems, but we'll see how it goes.

When I changed my gravel from green.. :roll: .. to natural gravel I only changed half of it at a time as to not disturb the bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom