Changing my Aqua One 620 Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cartosbartos

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello guys just thinking of changing my filter because its like a giant block of fish poo and its looking a bit ratty also the water seems to have little particles floating around all the time.
I bought the new filters and im just wondering how to change them as in what procedure to do * if there even is one *

thanks guys !

I'd suggest leaving the old one on your tank for 2 weeks or so to help maintain your cycle and seed the new ones with bacteria. The other option is to put the used media in the new filter, I just prefer letting the new one develop on it's own.

I'd suggest leaving the old one on your tank for 2 weeks or so to help maintain your cycle and seed the new ones with bacteria. The other option is to put the used media in the new filter, I just prefer letting the new one develop on it's own.

Oh ok but wouldnt leaving the old filters make the water all filthy ? should i wash them a bit first because alot alot of stuff comes out of them whenever i have cleaned them out before ?

Cartosbartos said:
Oh ok but wouldnt leaving the old filters make the water all filthy ? should i wash them a bit first because alot alot of stuff comes out of them whenever i have cleaned them out before ?

Maybe I misunderstood your post. Did you buy new cartridges/media to put into your existing filters or did you buy new filter machines?

If your filter media aka sponge etc isn't falling apart than keep using it. Just rinse it out in a bucket of TANK water and continue use. If it's falling apart and you have 2 or more media slots.. just replace one at a time a few weeks apart. If it only has one media type than do as Mr limpet suggested and keep the old media in with the new for a few weeks

Mr. Limpet said:
Maybe I misunderstood your post. Did you buy new cartridges/media to put into your existing filters or did you buy new filter machines?

I think that the OP bought a new cartridge.

If it's like mine with multi-stage, I would replace a single stage per 2-weeks until you have replaced all media. But before you go throwing old media, maybe you can recover it by swilling in the outgoing water each pwc. When I got my cannister, I was told to leave cleaning out for about 6 weeks, but I find a swill-out every 4 weeks will keep thing's tidy. It depends a lot on the bio-load your tank inhabitants produce, but I would def. not throw old media unless it's proper ragged.

oh thanks for the help, yeah its a bit broken and worn out where the water shoots out of the holes onto the cartridge but yeah i do wash it out pretty often and im trying to be gentle when i do it so that i dont keep breaking it further.
Should i just leave it until it gets destroyed totoally and the insides are falling out before i replace it ?

thanks

If the hardware is breaking, well you will need to replace it, but the filter media (sponge, ceramics etc.) are full of good bacteria controlling fish-waste, so you need to keep that 'alive' and passing on to populate the new filter system, hence change gradually to the new gear.
Also when 'washing-out' always swill in the outgoing pwc, not in tap-water because the chlorine would kill the bacteria off !

yeah just the filter is starting to fall apart and break as in * the filter * not the hard rings below it. Yeah if i do change it ill make sure i do it in different stages

Back
Top Bottom