Changing my filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmerklinger

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just wanted to inquire on how to properly change my filter. How often do I do it? I have an Aqueon quiet flow 30 for my 20 gallon tank. It seems like it's still in the process of cycling because my ammonia is rising but no nitrate is present or nitrite. Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

you really dont need to unless its falling apart. Ive had my filter media in my tank from the get go, almost a year now, I dont plan on changing it anytime soon

Do I rinse it off or anything at all? Why does the manufacturers guidelines tell me to do it monthly?

Sent from my LG-D801 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do I rinse it off or anything at all? Why does the manufacturers guidelines tell me to do it monthly?
You can rinse it in tank water if it gets too dirty.

The manufacturer recommends you change it money because they make money on the filter cartridges/pads.

You can rinse it in tank water if it gets too dirty.

The manufacturer recommends you change it money because they make money on the filter cartridges/pads.

Yep, you should be able to get at least 6 months out of a sponge if you rinse it in spent tank water every month or so. No reason to get rid of it if it's relatively clean, structurally sound, and contains BB.

I've found sponge to last indefinitely, and I only clean them twice a year. It's the blue filter pads that degrade over time.

I've found sponge to last indefinitely, and I only clean them twice a year. It's the blue filter pads that degrade over time.

Yeah ... I have blue filter pads that have been shaken out in tank water not too gently about 20 times over 8 months. They're just starting to fall apart.

But I have sponges in another filter for 6 months, also rinsed often, that are like new except for being tinted brown.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom