Changing some fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrcrazypants05

Aquarium Advice Freak
Lets say if I got rid of the 2 neon tetras, one of the plecostomus... and moved the other plecostomus into my 125gallon when I get it setup. Would I be able to get a "shark" and if I could... what kind could I get? My mom wants a shark in the 55gallon, and I'm giving the tank to her to look after, so I might as well look into what her options are with what she wants. So... anyone know of any ideas?

what else is in your tank? i really like rainbow sharks, which are just red tailed shark but all of its fins are red not just the back one. mine had a bit of a temper though sometimes so i need to know what kind of fish u got in there

My sig says them all
55 gallon
4 Giant Danios
2 Dragonfish
1 peacock eel
2 common plecostomus
2 neon tetras...
and now like 5-6 baby snails.. grrrr.... (except now like 25... found some in my HOB filter..........)

But yea.. like i said I'll be moving one pleco to the 125gal. Might get rid of the tetras, unless they'd be okay. the dragonfish pretty much arent even there... I might be getting yet another tank to make brackish for them anyway. Also, the eel doesnt make much waste and is laying around being lazy until night time... then goes out and plays in the bubbles lol.

I have had a redtailed shark (E. bicolor) for a couple of months now, and absolutely love it! It is a beautiful fish, and only grows to about 6 inches, so it won't outgrow a 55 gal like balas would. It has to be kept as the only one of its species in a tank, and really shouldn't be kept with certain conspecies (did I get this word right?) like the flying fox. As redtails grow they tend to become more aggressive, so that would be something to keep in mind. According to Elmer the peacock eel would get along fine with the redtail. I have read that dragon fish need salt in their water, which would not be very good for the redtail. I don't have any experience with either the eel or the dragon fish myself, so you might want to do more research on their compatability. The giant danios should be okay. (I currently have my redtail with some Buenos Aires tetras, and they get along just fine.)

My redtail is an absolute hoot to watch. He is always slinking over the rocks and plants, as if he were cleaning them off. (He does not eat algae, though.) He will shimmy up a leaf, flip over to the underside of the leaf, and go down it upsidedown. :D If you decide it is compatable with the other fish in the tank I would highly recommend it.

rainbow sharks are my favorite, they are more peaceful and more colorful than a red tail shark. Rainbow sharks are also known as "red fin sharks" they get a few inches larger than a red tail shark but are more colorful and a bit more peaceful. You can still oinly have one per tank though.

Back
Top Bottom