Changing substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wade91789

Aquarium Advice Activist
About 8 miles east of Sulphur Springs, TX
We have a 29g with gravel and my wife doesn't like the color of it any more and wants to change it. How hard is this going to be and is there a special way I should go about doing it? It's been up and running since Oct. and is stocked with fish.

Attachments

• image-3082313890.jpg
    image-3082313890.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 66
We have a 29g with gravel and my wife doesn't like the color of it any more and wants to change it. How hard is this going to be and is there a special way I should go about doing it? It's been up and running since Oct. and is stocked with fish.

It's not the easiest thing in the world but its not hard, most people take their fish out while they change the substrate but its not required. You also don't have to do half at a time if you have a good BB colony in your filter. Also going from gravel to gravel or gravel to sand it a whole lot easier than sand to sand or sand to gravel so it shouldn't be too bad for you, but when you start removing your gravel be prepared to be grossed out haha. I've changed my substrate like 6 times now

I just changed my gravel in my 10g last week. I took out all the ornaments and rocks and stuff and put them in a bucket with half the tank water then put the fish in the bucket. After that I just took out the old gravel and put in the new one. Put some of the old gravel in a nylon and let it sit in the tank for about a week so you get some of the bacteria back in. That's how I did it and everything went fine all the fish are back in and doing good. Good luck :)

That's the biggest pain in the *** if I've ever seen one lol :) it's all done now tho and looks so much better :) thank yall lettin the heater stabilize and I'll start acclimating my fish back

Attachments

• image-1451253662.jpg
    image-1451253662.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 51
Back
Top Bottom