changing substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mark shirah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a 55 gal community tank that has been set up for a year. i would like to change from sand to some type of gravel. any advice on how to do this with as little stress on fish as possible?

how much water change should i do each time i remove some sand? should i remove all the sand before i add new gravel?

I would just do a normal PWC, and with the water out, remove half the sand and add the gravel, then do the same a couple days later, do the other half.

You won't need to get all the sand out of the bottom. Doesn't need to be vacuumed clean. Just get as much as you can, then place in the gravel.

Here is an article regarding the change of substrate. I have done it several times and changed out the entire amount at once. It did not cause a mini-cycle. Just be careful to keep your media wet and do not eash any of the decor.

just the other week i did the exact opposite, gravel to sand. put my fish and decor in another tank and a bucket, then completely emptied and changed it all at once. no mini-cycle at all, took about 2.5 hours to complete. good luck!

I did the same thing in two of my tanks went from gravel to sand. I puled everything out and emptyed the tanks and replaced the fish,plants and caves. Without any cycling either. As long as you use the same filter medium you sould be fine with the bactria base remanning.

When you all changed the substrate did you keep any of the old water? I know the water doesn't have much bacteria in it, but I was wondering if I should keep any when I change mine.

I have another tank (55g) to hold my fish, so should I use the old tank water in the holding tank and run the filter or can I just put new water in there and run the filter?

i didn't save any water. the bio-filter is on the decorations and filter media so as long as those things are kept in water you will be fine with all new water. be sure to use a dechlorinator when filling back up. i only say this because i almost forgot...

Thanks...thats what I thought but I didn't want to lose any fish to a dumb mistake...if in fact I should keep water.

Good deal...sorry for hijacking this thread...I just didn't want to make a new one for just one question.

I'm glad the change went well for other people. A 55g gravel change just seems like a huge deal to me. Good to know its not!

well if you are changing sand to gravel?
wouldnt it be easier to syphon it out. i thought sand was light that if u stuck ur hose over it it would suck up. my subrate does and im sure sand is lighter. and you wouldnt have to waste as much time. i would think you could suck all the sand out add the gravel and then add ur new tank water just like a water change. or you could do it slowly

I left in 1/2 the water when I switched from gravel to sand. I wanted to keep the water chemistry as close as possible to what it previously was. It basically amounted to a 50% PWC...

Back
Top Bottom