changing substrate, opinions please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smomus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm sick of the clown puke gravel I have in my 30g and have decided to change it. I am leaning toward just a natural color sand but what about maybe a more subdued color gravel? What is the benefits of sand over gravel, or gravel over sand? Please let me know your option/experience.
Thanks!

smomus said:
I'm sick of the clown puke gravel I have in my 30g and have decided to change it. I am leaning toward just a natural color sand but what about maybe a more subdued color gravel? What is the benefits of sand over gravel, or gravel over sand? Please let me know your option/experience.
Thanks!

I had natural gravel which looked nice but switched to sand and absolutely adore it! Vacuuming is a breeze! You would be happy with it :) My fish LOVE it!

Thanks!
Sand is much easier to maintain and has an appeal to most people. The one thing I can think of off the top of my head is that gravel hides waste better by letting it fall to the very bottom of the tank (This is also a con for gravel).

By "natural colored" do you mean play sand? Play sand has to be thoroughly rinsed and rinsed and rinsed. It is very dirty. Ever considered white pool filter sand? White is very pretty and is very cheap. $10.00 for a 50 pound bag! And since it is used for pool filters, it is for the most part pre-rinsed and a quick rinse will have you ready.

But DO NOT just take out all of the substrate at once and replace it. Your gravel contains a fair amount of beneficial bacteria and replacing all the gravel at once would throw you into a mini-cycle. Change the substrate in parts: 1/4 of the gravel a week replaced by sand, so it should take you a month to completely change it out.

Hope I helped!!

Oh yea I forgot to mention it looking dirty if u don't keep up on it but I vac my sand every couple days so I Dont have a problem with waste :) here is a pic of my sand, its very white, I used blasting sand. Required very little rinsing, I was amazed at how clean it was right out if the bag!

Attachments

• attachment-25.jpeg
    attachment-25.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Im considering doing the same, on a side note does anyone have any easy ways of getting the gravel out and putting the sand in.. on a well established tank.

Im considering doing the same, on a side note does anyone have any easy ways of getting the gravel out and putting the sand in.. on a well established tank.

I switched to sand a couple of months ago and I'm loving it. It's not too difficult. First, check out some tanks and decide what color you want. Pool filter sand comes in a natural light beige and it has a slightly larger grain...this can definately save your filter. Plus, it's only about 8 bucks for 50 lbs at Home Depot. I put pfs in one of my 29g's and I love it.
Next, drain out some tank water in a 5 gallon bucket or clean plastic tote and put your fish in there. Remove decor and plants next. Drain out as much water as you can. I drained mine all the way to the gravel. I used a clean small dust pan to scoop up and remove the gravel. I already had my sand pre rinsed. Then simply put your sand in your tank, arrange it how you like, then add some water. Arrange your decor and plants, then add more water.
I added the water and fish from my bucket to the tank for the last step. (the ph out of my tap is a little higher than the tank water because of dw, and I didn't want to shock the fish. That's the only reason I used so much old tank water.)
Anyway, It didn't tank too long, and I never had a mini cycle.
Now cleaning is a breeze.
If you like black sand, you can find black blasting sand for much cheaper than the pet store sand. I'm going to use that for my next tank.
Be sure to rinse whatever you choose very thoroughly.
Good luck and keep us posted:)

Thank you for the replies everyone!
By natural color I mean the light beige color. I am looking for more of the beach looking set up. I have a bunch of rocks and gems I still want to keep in the tank, hopefully that will be enough to keep the bb? Then I could totally hey rid of the clown puke. When I got my tank, it was established already but I did so much crap to it I'm surprised I didn't kill all the fish. Of the original 13, I have 12 left.
Anyway, I have mts in my gravel now (again, came with the tank). I have heard they are awesome at sifting the sand? So do you all think our would be a good idea to pick the larger ones out to keep? If so what is a good # to keep, because I know the multiply quick if there is extra food?

I can't say I would recommend doing what I did, but now it actually looks real nice!! I put black sand in the back 2/3rds of the tank and white in the front; separating them with natural smooth stones. At first it was very strange because it looked like an oreo cookie..but now that I have lots of plant growth and a large piece of drift wood, I really like it. I love the sand and have it in two of my 3 tanks. Good luck :)

Thank you for the replies everyone!
By natural color I mean the light beige color. I am looking for more of the beach looking set up. I have a bunch of rocks and gems I still want to keep in the tank, hopefully that will be enough to keep the bb?

Most of your bb is in your filter, so be sure to keep your media moist during the change.

So I couldn't find pfs today. I did however find very fine paving sand. Its the kind you put between paving rocks/bricks. I paid about $2 for 30 lbs. Is this type of sand ok for my tank?

So I couldn't find pfs today. I did however find very fine paving sand. Its the kind you put between paving rocks/bricks. I paid about $2 for 30 lbs. Is this type of sand ok for my tank?
It works on the same principal as play sand. Basically, it is mostly dirt. You would have to spend an hour or more just to wash that one bag. But if you like it, perhaps you won't mind. It is safe for fish though (If you rinse it enough!)

Pool filter sand can be found online or at your local pool store. Not too hard to find, Lowes (registered trademark) or Home Depot (registered trademark) should have some.

lessies pool supply sells it. if you have one in your area. check there. I did however switch from dirt and gravel to pfs in my 29g. best decison. I love it my fish love it too:). also when I changed mine I had to drain my tank move the fish and decor in buckets. keep the media wet. then dump the tank outside. and rinse it out cause it was a mess. worth it tho!lol

phoenixkiller said:
It works on the same principal as play sand. Basically, it is mostly dirt. You would have to spend an hour or more just to wash that one bag. But if you like it, perhaps you won't mind. It is safe for fish though (If you rinse it enough!)

Pool filter sand can be found online or at your local pool store. Not too hard to find, Lowes (registered trademark) or Home Depot (registered trademark) should have some.

I tried both Lowes and home depot, neither had it. When I asked for it they were clueless lol. Needless to say pools aren't common here. That is why I went with the paving sand. Rinsed it FOREVER! lol now just waiting for it to settle a little.

STILL waiting for the sand to settle. Had no idea this would be such a process..

Little cloudiness still but hopefully will clear up with a wc tomorrow. Fix a few of the deco. Debating on taking some sand out tho, seems a bit too much. What you all think?

ForumRunner_20120509_005252.jpg

Some where between 10 and 15, I think. The bags were open so they didn't have the right amount. Then runoff when rinsing...
Thanks for the compliment on my angel. I didn't realize how big he is until I was looking at the little ones at pets mart. He has so much personality!

Back
Top Bottom