Changing water with a Gravel Vac

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ady1397

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought the Lees Ultimate Gravel Vac.
Its the one that connects to the sink.

there are many varieties but basically it uses the pressure provided by water from your sink to suck up the mess on the bottom of your tank. You can also flip the valve and refill your tank with water from the tap.

What I do is I vacum up the crap on the bottom. I have a 72 bow front so it takes about 7-12 minutes and removes about 18-24 gallons.
then i turn on all my filters and add enough conditioner, ph level, cycle, and salt to treat about the same amount of water that i took out.
I then flip the valve and refill my tank with the tap water.

I have never had any problems with my fish and try not to shock them with hot or cold water.

Any one have any comments?
I know treated water is best but this is too easy.!

Does anyone do it differently? :roll:

I do it the same way except I don't add anything but water conditioner when filling. I watch TV while I drain/fill all of my tanks :D

hmmm I'm thinking that sounds a lot quicker and easier than what I do!!! - may have to get one of those ;)

stoneydee said:
Yup, if you haven't already, it's time to kick the bucket. . .

Um...you don't mean that literally, do you? :lol:

Is it me or is the Lee Ultimate gravel vac the exact same thing as the python in a different color plastic? I wonder if the parts are interchangeable - the Lee pump is alot less expensive than the Python pump.

I've looked at the Python, but haven't sprung the $29.99 at Walmart for it, only because our tanks are in my daughter's room and the living room. The living room is not far from the kitchen sink which has a normal faucet set up. Our bathrooms have kind of funny faucets, and they are closer to my daughter's room.

How long are the hoses that come with the Python? Do they have multiple sink adapters in case there is something strange?

I really hate lugging that bucket of water every Thursday from three different tanks!

I can't imagine doing water changes any other way than using my Python :)

The standard hose is 25' on a Python, and you can get extensions fairly cheap. You could probably buy more hose at the hardware store for cheaper than their "official" extensions though.

Python makes one 100 ft. I wouldn't be without one either.

Yes, Lee's is an imitation Python. I'm not real pleased with mine, in that no matter how many washers I put on the connectors, if I turn off the flow with the hose 'switch', it sprays all over the place where it connects to the faucet.

What I do is use mine to fill a 35 gallon trash can (bought new for this purpose), where I dechlor. then I use a small Rio pump to put it into my tank. I made a little filling attachment that can't 'fall' or otherwise come loose to soak my floor...and I drilled holes in it so the water gently fills my tank (its planted, so I'm trying to reduce CO2 loss).

I think gravel vac'ing with a python sucks....or rather it doesn't suck enough. The siphon action is very weak, and you waste a TON of water. I prefer to siphon 4 large buckets of water (5-6 gallons each) with a normal gravel vac. This way I have water to rinse my filter sponges in. I'm not saying my way is the only way...just the best way for me.

and yes, you can buy more clear hose at a hardware store, and just lengthen it, rather than paying Python prices for 100'

I have the 25' foot python with a 20' extention. I will tell you that I absolutely love it. :) It is 90% of the reason why I don't mind taking care of fish. LOL I had problems getting it to keep from spraying out at the faucet to start with, but I realized I was screwing the fitting in uneven. Now that I keep it straight, I have no problems with it at all.

I just learned something new today! Although I must say, I have built in the bucket method to my strength training routine :wink:

Back
Top Bottom