channel cats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought one about 10 years ago. Was told it would get to be about 6 inches. Gave it back to the store at well over a foot.

Not sure where they sell them but I wouldn't recommend buying one.

6" ???? ROFL thats practically just hatched.

Yes they are legal to sell in some states, not all but some, its got nothing to do with irresponsibility and all about client el.

I beg to differ. The vast majority of clientele has no business purchasing a channel cat; yet, I've read many posts on many sites where people end up with them in an average sized tank (55 gallons or so, doesn't matter, still way too small). That is irresponsible behavior on the part of the shops AND the consumer that should take the initiative to research before purchasing.

if not a channel cat. what is a good bottom dweller that i could get????? not boring like plecos though and nothing too small!!

Striped or spotted Raphael! What size tank?

A very unresponsible one.

Agreed! I hate seeing these (and other fish that get HUGE) for sale in LFS.

Raphael catfish, loaches (definitely NOT boring), or Synodontis catfish if you have hard water (some are kinda reclusive though if you don't get a group).

I think you have some fish that get pretty big in that tank....right? Definitely keep that in mind with your bottom feeder choices.

Get a spotted pictus cat. They've got that same shape as a channel, but they're bright silver with black spots and really long whiskers. They're really active too. I think they max out at 8" or so. (Mine is about 6") He really attacks the food at feeding time and is one of my favorite fish in the tank.

Good choice! Glad you found a good alternative to a channel cat. :)

Back
Top Bottom