Check out your local fish club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianNY

Aquarium Advice Addict
For those who've wondered what a fish club is all about.....

Last week I attended my first meeting of the Greater New York City Aquarium Society. I weaseled the invite from a friend of a friend, didn't know a soul and had no idea what to expect.

I would guess there were as many as 70 people in attendance. You know what? Fish people come from all walks of life, are all ages, are all colors, and are both men and women. I couldn't have been more warmly welcomed. Most people were as eager to learn about my interests as I was theirs. I had no problem spending the $15 for the yearly membership fee.

The guest speaker was a teacher from Harlem who uses aquariums to teach 8 year olds science, math, geography and responsibiblty. I certainly wouldn't have gone out of my way to hear this topic but it was interesting. I was told that past speakers included Karen Randall and the editor of TFH magazine. I certainly would like to hear them speak.

After the lecture they served sandwiches, soda, coffee and cake (Imagine getting something for free in NYC LOL). Anyway I took the break as a chance to acquaint myself with others and do a little networking.

To raise money for the club they have an auction. Members donate fish they have spawned or plants they have grown. This I noticed was the most popular part of the meeting. I left with bags of crypts, java moss, java ferns and even 6 rasbora all for under $20 total. I can't wait for the next meeting as I need more plants LOL.

I really felt the best thing was the people I met. I recieved invitations to visit a discus importer and breeder, and from someone who raises aquarium plants to sell wholesale.

If you live near NYC and would like to hear more or attend a meeting, just PM me.

Brian

I wish my local group was as active. To be honest the group doesn't look like much and I paid to join the group in order to recieve discounts at various lfs. They have a meeting tomorrow night that I'm going to try. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised. It just seems like a very, very small group...

Oooo I am so jealous Bryan!

I did find a local fish club just last week tho; yay! I'm sending my fee in this week, and will attend their meeting the end of the month; I am SO psyched! I just hope its as cool as your meeting was.

Oh man, why didn't I know about that club when I was still living in NYC and had a tankful of guppies! Brian that sounds so cool, I'm very envious, good for you!

Maybe you people in Seattle should consider maoving to NY :lol: . And Alli, you aren't that far from this one. It's right over the Throgs Neck Bridge :)

My only memories of NY are me being insanely pissed off at being forced to move to South Africa, heh.

Myriam, join GSAS, and make other people join! It seems like Portland has a much larger group of fish folks.

LOL but the Throgs Neck is a good 45 mins away, plus that stupid toll!

And as for all you NY expats...come home!! We miss you *grin*

Don't worry, I'm planning on retiring to NYC! I'll never have to drive another car again :)

Come on back Myr....... Love to have a happy fish lover here :lol:

Brian

Back
Top Bottom