Cherry barb acting lethargic.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinkybraincbfam

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello we have had a cherry barb community now for about 6 months going strong. Our barbs have been very healthy and have been breeding. We currently have 4 new babies in the tank since we started it all up.

Unfortunately one of our adult female barbs has been acting funny the past few days. She has been swimming with what seems like no energy and a lot of tail up swimming. As of this morning we woke up to seeing her laying in the gravel when we went to scoop her out she began swimming again and we noticed she seemed very puffed out. We have taken her out of the tank and have her in isolation where she was swimming at first then would lay down and then swim a bit but always returning to the bottom and laying down still looking puffed out. Any idea what may be wrong?? I'm at a loss I'm kinda thinking just old age she was fully grown when we got her. As well no white spots to be seen.
The rest of the tank seems fine other than their obvious concern for their tank mate.

New to the fish thang

If it is indeed dropsy, then there is no cure, unfortunately. Are the scales puffed out like a pinecone? If so, then you've definitely got a case of dropsy on your hands. Best option is euthanasia. My preferred method is with clove oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yea she passed away when I was at work. Definitely was dropsy. Now we just have to hold the rest of the tank together everyone seems really stressed out since took her out. Getting a larger tank in the next couple weeks so hopefully after we cycle that it we can get them into a bigger tank and it will be much less stressful for them.

New to the fish thang

Back
Top Bottom