cherry barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matthew_raw

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have two cherry barbs in my community tank that are a little over an inch long, one is cherry red and the other is a light red/brown i think they are male and female ? the brown one is fat but has been since i bought it over three months ago and i was wondering is she pregnant ? i would like to breed them but i dont know how, i have a separate smaller tank that is cycled and established, any help would be appreciated ? thanks

I've bred cherry barbs in the past. The bright red is the male and the brownish one is the female. You'll have more luck if they are in a group, but you might get those two to breed. Throw in a lot of floating plants and condition them with brine shrimp and bloodworms. They will move about through the plants side by side scattering the eggs as they do a little dance and shake their way through. If you don't have plants, they, or the group, will eat the eggs as they are scattered. The eggs have microscopic hooks that hook onto the plants. There is no parental care involved, obviously. A pregnant female will be filled with roe, and thus will have an extended belly. The male's color is pronounced when in breeding condition.

David

Thanks for the info could.i ues a breeder box with plants in the fry trap part ?

I wouldn't go with a breeder box; it will not work with cherry barbs. A boatload of floating plants, such as Hygrophila difformis, will work just fine. This is a popular aquatic plant you can find just about anywhere.

David

Back
Top Bottom