Cherry red shrimps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kagentx

Aquarium Advice Activist
i've been wanting to make a tank to breed cherry red shrimps, but i have too many tanks running. Is it possible for them to breed if i place about 6 of them in a breeder's net of my planted tank?

ok i guess that's not such a good idea. I changed my mind. Now i'm kickin my turtles out of my 10 gallon tank for the shrimp reproduction. I'm going to have a glass canopy over the tank, with 15 watts of lighting, a whisper mini filter (it sucks but i accidently ordered it), and hagen natural CO2. I'm going to have water sprite and java moss in the tank for all the filter the shrimp needs. What do you guys think?

also, would this recipe work for the the hagen co2 chamber?
1/2 tsp of yeast
1/2 tsp of baking soda
2 cups of sugar

yeah i dont think they'd be very happy or breed good in such a small space. for awhile i had a bunch of local mountain shrimp in a heavily planted 3gal eclipse (no filter) and they bred pretty good but when i bought a 10gal and used them to cycle the tank they bred like crazy!

i'm not too sure about the co2
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=41

sorry i couldnt find links to other great articles i've read HTH though

Are you wanting to raise shrimp in a display tank, just to have cool shrimp to look at, or raise them for food? If you have a tank that has relatively small fish, or vegetarians, you can spawn them in a regular community tank. I have cherry shrimp in with Endler's and cory cats.

You might want to cut the yeast back to 1/8 tsp and cut the sugar back to fill to the line in the container - I don't think it will hold that much sugar. If you find you run out of CO2 relatively soon after setting it up, say after 4-7 days, then just cut back on the yeast so it does not burn through the sugar as quickly. The yeast reproduces so in that small canister you'll have plenty.

hmm, my tank is too big for me to keep an eye on my 3 ting $15 shrimp investments. it seems nowadays, people can't get enough of cherry red shrimps. Maybe if i can get them to breed like guppies then... *cha ching. heh other than that, my intention is really to get some nice red shrimps in the display tank. i want at least 40, but that's too expensive

Good news is, i just bought 2 pregnant cherry red shrimps and 1 amano shrimp. I hav them in the breeder's net with java moss. I'm hoping for some beauties in a month :D

The 10 gallon tank, is still being set up. I'm planning to get sand as the substrate. I don't think a filter is required for shrimps because they produce little waste. The plants will use all the waste up. As for circulation, i'm planning to use a Rio 50 power head (would the the intake be dangerous to the babies?) to circulate and diffuse the Co2. What you guys think?

I have a few cherry shrimp in my 10 gal grow out tank that I keep plant fragments, developing crypts, and sprouting apons. I also have a nice clump of java moss in the corner.

I just cleaned the tank today and I noticed I had nearly two dozen baby cherry shrimp swiming around. :D

I'd say they are pretty easy to breed and should do OK in a 10 gal tank if you provide enough cover (java mosss) for the babies to hide in.

I also noticed one of my female cherry shrimp is loaded with a new batch of eggs. woohoo! :D

haha, you making me even more excited about them! i can't wait. Do you have a filter in it? i'm afraid a filter or powerhead will suck in the babies =O.

kagentx said:
haha, you making me even more excited about them! i can't wait. Do you have a filter in it? i'm afraid a filter or powerhead will suck in the babies =O.

The only thing I have is an air-driven sponge filter. It does a good job biologically and I change 25% of the water each week.

can i call a tank established, if i transfer the water from my established planted tank? I want to do that for my 10 gallon tank so my shrimps can have a house of their own.

the water won't house the bacteria, you should run your new filter in your established tank for a day or so then move it to your new tank

i'm still deciding whether to put a filter in or not. Don't want to lose my baby shrimps to a intake tube and a sponge filter will rid my Co2. The plants can do the job.

should a filter be put in or is the 10 gallon with the plants good enough for my 3 pregnant shrimps?

Back
Top Bottom