Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-04-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cherry Shrimp?

Hey everyone, a little while ago I aked if I could add anything more to y 10 gal. tank. Well I bought 2 Ghost Shrimp, 1 died and I turned out to be a Amano Shrimp. So I have 3 shrimp in my tank. Could I add a couple Cherry Shrimp, and if they breed a few young? My stock in this tank:
1 Female betta, 3 Platies and 3 shrimp. Thx for your help.
EDIT: I only have a Java fern. Could they live off that and an algae wafer every once in a while?

Old 07-05-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

*Bump?*

Old 07-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

i think youd be fine,but the young would probably get eaten,and the betta might eat the adults. they are mainly scavengers(i think) so theyed be fine
Old 07-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm not really worried about my Betta, she loves the Ghost Shrimp in there! She loves to sit there and watch them. I realize that not all the young will survive. But how many could I have in there? I'm starting with 2 as they will already have some shrimp buddies
I've researched them and I've read they prefer a herbivorous diet over carnivorous.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

a ton,they have virtually no bioload
Old 07-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Even with the Platies and Betta? I know they add almost nothing to the bio-load, but what about combined with the rest of the inhabitants?
Old 07-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

add as many as you want(within reason). people have 10 gallon shrimp tanks with 300 shrimp,youll be fine.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

!!! Wow! 300! Well anyways thx a lot for your help.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

shrimp tanks,the tanks like that are mainly for breeding. id suggest you add 1-10 of tehm,but its up to you
Old 07-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #10
come get me tang police!

In a 10g I'd put maybe a dozen to begin with. Although I do think that your betta and platies will likely eat them at some point. Ghost shrimp are much larger than cherry shrimp.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaKing View Post
Hey everyone, a little while ago I aked if I could add anything more to y 10 gal. tank. Well I bought 2 Ghost Shrimp, 1 died and I turned out to be a Amano Shrimp. So I have 3 shrimp in my tank. Could I add a couple Cherry Shrimp, and if they breed a few young? My stock in this tank:
EDIT: I only have a Java fern. Could they live off that and an algae wafer every once in a while?
You can easily add 10-15 RCS with your current stock. I must say though, I have had much better luck with bettas and colorless shrimp than the colored. Some of mine do fine with ghosties but will hunt and kill every RCS. So because of that I would start with just a couple and see how it goes so you don't waste $$
Old 07-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

That's what I'm planning to do. Hoping a few young survive. As I said my Betta isn't a prob. I don't even think my Platies know they have shrimp tank-mates haha. My Betta just keeps to herself and occasionally sits(floats) and watches the shrimp scurry along the bottom. I will keep a close eye on them for a while.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:36 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hopefully you're right. I have about 8 females right now and most of them, well 6 that I know for sure so far, will devour RCS even though they do fine with ghost shrimp, so it's worthwhile to be cautious. IME almost any fish will pluck off baby RCS though. Your best bet is probably to add some java moss and anacharis for good hiding spots. Fake anacharis is good too, if you can't or don't want to get the real stuff. The plastic anacharis usually has tons of little nooks and crannys for baby shrimp to hide in.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:38 PM   #14
come get me tang police!

The only fish that I have found to be shrimplet-friendly are otos and bn plecos.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

There are some good nooks and crannies for them to hide. I really do appreciate ya'lls (can you tell I'm Tennessean? ) concern, and keep a veeeerrryyy close eye on them, thank ya'll so much. God bless
Old 07-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hehe I think ya'll is not used enough Well I don't think you need to camp out in front of the tank or anything, lol, I would just make sure a couple surivive before adding a bunch.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:23 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaKing View Post

i added 30+ RCS to my 10 gal about 3 months ago. now i have easily over 60. but they are in there by there lonesome so they breed fast. no matter how well behaived your beta is, he/she will eat the baby shrimp if given the chance. a usefull answer to that is adding a wad/ball of java moss to your tank dense enought for the beta to be unable to penatrate it and gobble up all the goodies (rcs babys) in it.

With having other fish in the tank, there is no need to feed the rcs specificly because rcs eat not only algea but anything that falls to the bottom. & your plant is safe "EDIT: I only have a Java fern. Could they live off that and an algae wafer every once in a while"

My only concern is that the two different kinds of shrimp dont like eachother at feeding time. ghost shrimp are alot more agressive and will out compete RCS in small groups.

Tags
cherry, cherry shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com