Cherry shrimp and GBR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calfishguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been doing some research and can't get a definitive answer. Can cherry shrimp and German blue rams live together in a 20-30 gallon tank with neon tetras. I would like to get answers from people who have tried to keep the two together.

Thanks.

calfishguy said:
I've been doing some research and can't get a definitive answer. Can cherry shrimp and German blue rams live together in a 20-30 gallon tank with neon tetras. I would like to get answers from people who have tried to keep the two together.

Thanks.

I doubt there is a "definitive" answer. What works for one person may not work for another. If your tank is heavily planted and your fish are well fed some Shrimp may live. But they will never be as active as Shrimp living without predators. I've heard of Neons hunting down RCS. Other tanks they are fine.

Perhaps someone has this exact combo and can comment.

I had 100+ RCS. I added fish. I still have Shrimp, but the swarms of tiny Shrimplets are not seen. A few survive. I miss seeing the babies out and about and am setting up a Shrimp Only tank.
I went from this

To this

Still a great tank, but I miss all my Shrimplets.

Some good news!

Cherry shrimp (neocaridina) of all sorts are able to live with German blue rams and also neon tetras.

But heres the catch, they must be as of almost full grown adult sized. Or else like in nature they are not as high up on the food chain as fish are.
If you are densely planted you giving the babies to juvies a fighting chance to hide from predation from the fish. Make sure there are enough hiding places for everyone.

It's completely possible for shrimp and fish to co exist in the tank you have.

Or consider switching to smaller tetras or rasboras.

I learnT the hard way:p after my German ram ate 50$ of my crystal red shrimp
And decided to die himself the next day. I will never forget that day.
Haha

Yeah you could raise them yourself to suitable size, but of you can have a dedicated tank to raise them why dont you keep that in that tank?

I don't want to have to run 3 tanks at once and a 2.5 is small for long-term.

2.5 gallon is small for long-term but the shrimp will be perfectly cozy in a tank by themselves without fish. You will probably be able to see them exhibit their
natural behaviors more then in a tank with German Blue Rams.
And see them more frequently in the open grazing away.

Unless you shove 200 in there, up to 30 isnt a problem.

:) best luck

The rams will destroy the entire colony...is my bet. Even in a heavily planted tank they will hunt down those suckers. Even little rams will peck them to death. It just doesn't work unless maybe you start with a HUGE colony.

my experience with gbr's and red cherries went something like this. got the shrimp. turned out the lights. added food to the one side of tank. added the cherry shrimp to the other side. the minute they hit the water my gbr's came over and started to eat them. one by one. i paid $39.99 for a 5 minute snack for the gbr's. never again. the shrimp are too small when you first get them. i would grow them out in another aquarium and then introduce to the gbrs. but i don't know if that would work either. when i put ghost shrimp in the tank that are full grown they ignore them. it might also be because the ghost shrimp aren't as brightly colored. the cherry shrimp just seem to scream here i am, eat me! in a nice way. lol

Yeah my plan is to put fully grown ones in. I will also give some to my cousin do I have some back up ones in case thy eat them. I dot have a tank big enough for Gbr that have room in. I'm just planning for when i fin a good deal on kijiji by then they should be fully grown.

Back
Top Bottom