Cherry shrimp in filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Owp

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have just added cherry shrimp to my 60 litre tank and 2 are babies and 1 slightly bigger. I just noticed one just go into the filter and I cannot see the others but they are very hard to see anyway because they are so small. Should I let them swim out of the filter on their own or get them out?

I have just added cherry shrimp to my 60 litre tank and 2 are babies and 1 slightly bigger. I just noticed one just go into the filter and I cannot see the others but they are very hard to see anyway because they are so small. Should I let them swim out of the filter on their own or get them out?
Get them out

I have mechanical filtration if that’s what you mean. Would this mean I’d need to get an air pump for a sponge filter?

Uhm.... no.... its a prefilter sponge, not a stand alone filter, meaning it goes before your filter.

Uhm.... no.... its a prefilter sponge, not a stand alone filter, meaning it goes before your filter.

Oh right I see I can’t actually see the shrimp in the filter as it is very large and hard to see into because it’s quite cloudy but I don’t think they’re in there. They must be hiding somewhere they are very small so I might not see them until they’ve ground or have the confidence to come out of the hiding place.

What kind of filter are you running, picture would be good. As for the sponge you put it on the wnd of your intake tube - personally just use one of my inserts with a hole made in the middle

What kind of filter are you running, picture would be good. As for the sponge you put it on the wnd of your intake tube - personally just use one of my inserts with a hole made in the middle

They are running a mechanical filter, most likely a HOB

They are running a mechanical filter, most likely a HOB

It isn’t a hang on back filter it is fully submerged it’s a juwel bioflow filter. When I looked inside I couldn’t see the shrimp so I just assume they are hiding somewhere so I’m not sure what to do.

It isn’t a hang on back filter it is fully submerged it’s a juwel bioflow filter. When I looked inside I couldn’t see the shrimp so I just assume they are hiding somewhere so I’m not sure what to do.

My mistake.

If you can put a sponge over the intake, I would do that. I like to keep all shrimplets alive.

My mistake.

If you can put a sponge over the intake, I would do that. I like to keep all shrimplets alive.

Ok I will do that if I put a poly pad in front will the filter be able to work well enough. Do shrimp normally stay out of sight in the tank?

Ok I will do that if I put a poly pad in front will the filter be able to work well enough. Do shrimp normally stay out of sight in the tank?

Yes, they are way too good at hiding, I tore a 10 gallon shrimp tank down, and a 20 gallon, both times it took me well over a week to remove them all.

Yes, they are way too good at hiding, I tore a 10 gallon shrimp tank down, and a 20 gallon, both times it took me well over a week to remove them all.

I will put the poly pad in front of the intake assuming the shrimp are just hiding in the tank and not the filter. I’ll check again though if they are in the filter.

After Googling pics of your filter I can see why seeing them in it would be such a problem esp with so many layers of media and the internal heater. Unfortunately taking it outof the tank and pulling every layer apart in a bucket of old tank or new treated water and also checking all compartments is the only way you are going to be sure the shrimp aren't in it. This kind of tear down is what keeps me from using an internal filter or cannister in my shrimp or fry tanks

After Googling pics of your filter I can see why seeing them in it would be such a problem esp with so many layers of media and the internal heater. Unfortunately taking it outof the tank and pulling every layer apart in a bucket of old tank or new treated water and also checking all compartments is the only way you are going to be sure the shrimp aren't in it. This kind of tear down is what keeps me from using an internal filter or cannister in my shrimp or fry tanks

Yes ok thanks I will check again tonight and if they aren’t there then I will just have to wait to see if they come out of their hiding place.

I opened up my canister for cleaning once and had about a half dozen shrimp in there snacking away. They were like “omg turn off the light”.

Back
Top Bottom