Cherry Shrimp. Male or Female?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MJerome

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought 2 cherry shrimp at local pet shop. Not happy with color. Where can I buy shrimp with better color? Also does anyone know of they are male, female, or same sex? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20170402_115613.jpg
    20170402_115613.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 95
Cherry shrimp will need a little time to get their color back. Much like a stressed fish loses its color on the trip home from the pet store, the same can be said for most invertebrate. However, in my experience shrimp take a while longer to regain their color. I've found shrimp in my canister filter that had turned almost completely clear but were vibrantly red when in the tank. The color does come back.

As for sexing, I haven't the faintest clue. I've always bought several at a time for better odds of mating pairs. You'll know the females when they develop eggs. Their underbelly will have a yellow mass that, if you look closely, is actually a cluster of eggs. The males will then fertilize the eggs. Keep a clump of java moss on a piece of driftwood to give them a safe haven and some natural food, (the algae on the moss, not the moss itself). They will breed in given the proper conditions.

Hope that helps

I can sex crayfish, but shrimp are too tiny lol

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

After doing some reading the other night, sexing cherry shrimp isn't that difficult per say. In general the females are simply larger than the males

Back
Top Bottom