Cherry Shrimp or Flower Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calebmc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am going to get a 29 gallon tank with:2 dwarf gouramis, 7 zebra danios, 7 cherry danios. I want to get shrimp to take care of the algae on the plants, but I don't know which one to get.

I am going to get a 29 gallon tank with:2 dwarf gouramis, 7 zebra danios, 7 cherry danios. I want to get shrimp to take care of the algae on the plants, but I don't know which one to get.

Hello! I don't think cherry shrimp would work out all that well in with those fish. The dwarf gouramis may see them as a very expensive meal! I'd personally go with Amano shrimp because they'll clean algae excellently and get much bigger than red cherries. If you do want wood shrimp though that'd probably work out very well too! Just make sure they acquire the proper nutrients, both those shrimp cannot go in "new" tanks. I don't mean not cycled I mean they need mature tanks with lots of buildup of organic material!

If by flower shrimp you mean bamboo shrimp, they require a very strong flow. And they do not eat algae. The "flowers" on their hands are filters that they use to filter particles out of the water which they then eat. This is why they require a strong current, so they can sit and collect food with their fans. They will not eat algae.
Also, you should not plan on having algae. If your tank has nutrients in balance with the lighting and carbon source, you should not get algae. Algae indicates that something is unbalanced.

Hello! I don't think cherry shrimp would work out all that well in with those fish. The dwarf gouramis may see them as a very expensive meal! I'd personally go with Amano shrimp because they'll clean algae excellently and get much bigger than red cherries. If you do want wood shrimp though that'd probably work out very well too! Just make sure they acquire the proper nutrients, both those shrimp cannot go in "new" tanks. I don't mean not cycled I mean they need mature tanks with lots of buildup of organic material!

I agree with this. While you could put them in and supplement them with algae wafers or pellets, the biggest issue is that the fish will eat cherries. I have blue velvets that get snacked on by my zebra danios now and then. Dwarf gouramis will probably eat them all in a day if they could.

Back
Top Bottom