Cherry Shrimp Tank Mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacpaq2000

Aquarium Advice Activist
What are some fish that can be kept with cherry shrimp in a 20 gallon. I was thinking maybe neon tetras but other fish ideas would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cory cats, oto cats, and some plecos are safe with shrimp. Other than that, the shrimp will be on the menu.

The way to do it is to have enough breeding shrimp that you can afford to lose some to predation. Also, lots of hiding places will help.

Boraras Brigittae aka Chilis
Or Boraras merah or Boraras urophthalmoides

Are pretty much safe for all shrimp. I have kept them in a tank and went from maybe 20 to over a hundred twenty shrimp in the same tank.

Not the case with my Green Neons and my Sundanio Axelrodi Blue Neons, my CPD's also seem to not coexist with baby shrimp, many born few seen later.

After I moved the Blue Neons out of my Fire Red Chocolate Cherry shrimp tank, I had 4 adult shrimp, now 4 months later maybe 40-50, still have the Phoenix Rasboras (thought they were Boraras Brigittae, how they were sold to me as babies but now I think they are Phoenix, aka Merah).

Really just depends if you want them to coexist as adults or if you are really trying to increase the shrimp numbers - breed them.

Even the smallest fish will eat the baby shrimp. I kept my shrimpbin a community 55g tank with angels, gbrs, a gourami, and a few other fish that actively hunted the shrimp. I just balanced that with having enough shrimp that they bred faster than they got eaten.

I ended up with over 100 shrimp, far too many to count.

I'm planning on a tank with celestial pearl danios and red cherry shrimp. Scarlet badis is a cool fish as well. Most fish will eat baby shrimp but if you give them lots of hiding places the colony will be fine :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm planning on a tank with celestial pearl danios and red cherry shrimp. Scarlet badis is a cool fish as well. Most fish will eat baby shrimp but if you give them lots of hiding places the colony will be fine :)

Scarlet Badis are hunters as are CPD and as such will hunt the shrimp. I had Scarlet Badis and they would stalk the shrimp, even the adults but the adult shrimp would jump away. I have a jungle style tank, lots of hiding places and I am positive that the Scarlet Badis were decimating the young population. Just one person's experience.

Yeah I heard that they would go after the shrimp but I didn't realize that it was that bad.

Back
Top Bottom