Chili Rasbora Stocking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rrkpl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a small planted tank with 8 Ember Tetras and 2 Chili Rasboras. The Rasboras were the survivors of an ich outbreak I tried to cure with heat (not recommended). The Rasboras don't seem stressed but I was wondering if the little tank would be more balanced (schooling fish) if I traded 3 Tetras for Rasboras so there were 5 of each. (10 is max for bioload). Am I over thinking this or would that be better for all?

Tank is only around 3 gallons which I feel already is too small for the amount of fish although parameters are ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5.

As for Ich, could not use salt as there were plants and shrimp in the tank.

Yikes. Lol. Ya you are overstocked. Personally, I'd only keep 5 ember tetra in a tank that size and I'd say that is maxed out if not overstocked slightly.

You could try it but I think you're looking at 50% water changes every other day in order to keep your water in acceptable condition.

I would also only feed them 4 times a week.

What kind of filtration are you running?

40% every other day is what I’m doing. I’m waiting on a 10 gallon to finish cycling and will put the ember tetras in there and will then go for six of the much smaller chili rasboras in the small planted tank. I figured that trading 3 of the larger tetras for rasboras would also cut down on the bioload in the meantime.

Idk what your plans are for the 3 gallon but you could definitely add 6 ember's and 6 Chili's to your 10g.

Back
Top Bottom