Chili Rasboras disappeared

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bayo

Aquarium Advice Regular
I introduced x6 chili rasboras yesterday night to my fish tank, where i Keep 3 small platies and 3 small neon tetras. This morning, to my surprise, 2 out of the 6 chili rasboras disappeared! Any thought on this? Help!

I was looking for them for about 15 minutes and I didn't see any trace of them. I checked my filter just in case they were there and nothing.

Thanks!

It's possible they died and the other fish consumed them.

Is this in your 6 gallon?

What are your water parameters? Because of the state of this tank, which I've already commented on in other threads, it's possible you have dangerous levels of toxins like ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Platties can eat fry of a decent size, so if the chili's were small enough they could possibly have been eaten, but that seems much less likely. Also, how did you acclimate them?

Hi, the water parameters are the following:

PH:
Amonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 pmm
Nitrates: 3 pmm
Temp: 24C (75F)

To acclimate the, i put them in the aquarium on the bag I got them from my LFS for about an hour, then I added a bit of my water to the bag, let them there for about 20min and the transferred them with a net to their new home...

Thanks!

forgot to mention that the PH is 7.3

Last edited by a moderator:
In most cases like this it's impossible to determine an actual cause of death. The bodies were likley eaten once they were already dead. They are so small, it would be easy for the others to eliminate a trace of them. I've lost chili's and I've never actually seen a body.

Do introduce new fish to your tank water a bit slower. Float for 15-20 minutes, or long enough for the bag water to come to temp, then beging removing some bag water and adding tank water every 10 mins or so until you feel like their bag water has pretty much become all tank water. Then net them out. Even if you had done this, you may have still lost the chili's, but it's a good practice to use going foward to increase your chances.

One issue with most LFS' is that they recieve shipments of fish and do not properly acclimate them to their new tanks or QT them before selling them. As you can imagine, a fish that's just shipped across the country and plopped in a new tank w/o a slow acclimation is stressed and possibly even sick when you consider the mass breeders these fish typically come from and really shouldn't be sold right away. This is one of the reasons I prefer buying online from reputable sellers. You may feel like your spending too much with shipping, but I've found that in the end you have significantly less losses and come out ahead in the long run. A couple good sellers that I can confirm QT their fish before selling are franksaquarium.com, wetspottropicalfish.com, and severum mama/HN1 who are members on this site, and have their own site which is forsythaquatics.com as well as a list of stock in the classified section here.

Also remember you are risking your entire stock by adding new fish w/o QT'ing them first. If the chili's were to have something contagious, you could end up with a sick tank.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom