chinese algae eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scuba Diver

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok here I am again the new guy LOL but was wondering. I got a couple of plecostomus and they just hang out in the cave all day. (Despite having them in the past and never saw one hide I recently found out they are nocturnal.)

Looking for a smaller and better option I found what the pet store called simply (Algae Eater). Having researched to no avail I found nothing specific to "Algae Eater" so I determined I would give these 2 a try. So far they are playful and friendly but after identifying them as Chinese Algae Eaters it appears they may outgrow there loving tenderness and become aggressive? Any one know anything about them or have experience with them?????

Yes. They are extremly agressive once they get big...and they get big. They will suck onto your other fishs' slime coats. What size tank? Were they common plecos and are they still in there?

40 gallon tank. The commons are still in there yes. Its kind of a long story how I ended up with 2 but now I have them LOL. So should I get rid of these algae eaters while I am ahead then???

Scuba Diver said:
40 gallon tank. The commons are still in there yes. Its kind of a long story how I ended up with 2 but now I have them LOL. So should I get rid of these algae eaters while I am ahead then???

Well yes. But those plecos are going to outgrow that tank really quickly. Id deal with that problem first, then the algea eaters. Unless you have a bigger tank to move the plecos too

I agree, a 40 gallon is much too small. You'd be better off rehoming the plecos.

Back
Top Bottom