Chinese Algae Eater Care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RnLGG

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So right now I have a chinese algae eater in a 10 gallon tank for the time being, and I plan on getting him a tank all to himself.
I find that information on the Chinese Algae Eater is quite mixed, so I'm not sure what to believe.
So my few questions are:
-Would a 20 gallon tank be okay to keep him in? (Going bigger than that is not really an option)
-What should I feed him? Are algae tablets a good option? He likes eating regular flake food, but I'm going to try algae tablets soon. Would it be good to give him any types of vegetables? If so, how would I prepare them?
-What fish could go with him if it is possible? He is still small right now, so he doesn't bother any of the fish in the tank he is in yet. But what would go with the fish when he is bigger? Or is it best to leave him alone?

personally i wouldnt keep one in a 20 gallon. it is better then a 10 gallon though.

mine eats flake foods plus i feed it fruits and veggies. fruits i just pop harder veggies like zucchini boil or nuke it to soften it up.

mine are with endlers. some just attack anything but mine is a rare case and never bothered any of the fish. i have a GCAE and a reg CAE the GCAE only bugged the CAE.

I've had a C.A.E. in a 10 gal. schrimp tank for 2 years with no problems at all.
He started out about an inch long and he's grown to about 3 inches now.
He loves the algae wafers twice a week and scrounges the rest of the time. He's probably eating his share of schrimp too but you will do fine with the regular food.
They start off eating algae but learn real fast that flakes are easier to get, not so much work like algae.

I'd like my fish to be in proper conditions, but is the recommended tank size for these guys 55 gallons? What is the reason my tank is too small? (The fish getting too big, not enough room to move, water conditions?) Would it effect his health to stay in a 20 gallon?
Should I return the fish?

Last edited:
they get to be 5-6 inch. i think 33 gallon would be a better minimum for them. i just think the fish gets too big and doesnt have enough room to move. if you are going to put him in a 20 at least a 20 long would be better larger foot print.

I have one in my community tank and he is great at eating flake and pellets that get stuck in spots other fish wont look. I never fed mine anything special, he just eats left over food and any algae that may grow. He is in a 72 gal and went from under and inch to about 4.5" now (about a year). Gets along with everyone in the tank and even schools with my giant danios when he is bored lol

I also had mine in with my other community fish; platys, clown loaches, catfish... eating nothing really special. Well, except for maybe an occasional steak! :rolleyes: He/she was a light colored CAE and was quite happy for probably over a year. He grew to be about 4-5 inches long.
Then one day, I found him on the carpet, where he had been for quite a few hours. Evidentally they sometimes get overly happy and swim so fast they "throw" themselves out of their tanks. My tank top was covered except for about 3 inches of it where some air tubes and stuff exited. I have told this sad story to other aquarium folks and it is not all that rare of an event.
So watch your little CAE. They can be quick and escape in a moments notice! :n00b: Jerri in Ohio

I also had mine in with my other community fish; platys, clown loaches, catfish... eating nothing really special. Well, except for maybe an occasional steak! :rolleyes: He/she was a light colored CAE and was quite happy for probably over a year. He grew to be about 4-5 inches long.
Then one day, I found him on the carpet, where he had been for quite a few hours. Evidentally they sometimes get overly happy and swim so fast they "throw" themselves out of their tanks. My tank top was covered except for about 3 inches of it where some air tubes and stuff exited. I have told this sad story to other aquarium folks and it is not all that rare of an event.
So watch your little CAE. They can be quick and escape in a moments notice! :n00b: Jerri in Ohio

I'm sorry to hear that, RIP lil' buddy. I think I'll keep my guy in the 20 gallon I'm getting soon, unless you guys strongly recommend against it! I'll try get a bigger tank in a few years.

Back
Top Bottom