Chipped glass on aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rpgmomma8404

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 29 gallon has a corner where it looks like someone might have bumped it too hard and chipped off some glass. It's just on the surface but I've been wondering if this might hurt the tank in the long run? I don't have a picture of it right now since everyone is sleeping but will take one later. Is there anything I can do to fix this or prevent a leak?

It's a used tank and the people I bought it from had it running for three months. I'm not sure where the damage could have come from. I didn't notice it until a few days after I had it set up.

well its risky as im sure some people here will tell u but i bought an old 55 with no center brace and it had about 6 chips in the outside corners. they did not go all the way through the glass so i taped it off nicely and ran a nice thick bead of silicone down each corner and let it dry. then i set it up outside and filled it and let it set for a week. then i shook it and moved it around and i had no problems. its still up and running after 1 year. im sure each tank is different so its your own choice to try this. good luck

I would just replace the tank honestly but I really don't have $30-$40 dollars to replace this, lol. I kind of feel cheated because the people I bought it from never told us about the chipped area. It wasn't super noticeable at first either. I guess lesson learned. Next used tank I'm looking it over top to bottom because I bring it home.

While chips are never a good thing, from the pictures you have here, I think it looks worse than it actually is. I don't think you'll have any trouble out of it, the silicone looks like it's in good shape. Unless you want to add more silicone to the outside of the tank, there is no real reason to add silicon to the inside unless you want to strip the old silicone out first.

I have a similar chip on my 40. Just filled it with silicone for aesthetic purposes but it shouldn't be a problem

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it. It's been driving me mad. I'm not too worried about the tank not looking perfect. I just want to make sure it's not going to start leaking any time soon.

Back
Top Bottom