Chlorine poisoning - how fast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nanana

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just did a water change and major substrate vacuum on my daughter's 15 gallon freshwater aquarium. We've had it about a year, so it's well cycled, etc. The tank has 2 glofish danios, 2 guppies, a few neocaridinia shrimp, and a couple of nerite snails. I grabbed the wrong bottle and accidentally "treated" one bucket of water with API StressZyme+ (beneficial bacteria) rather than API Stress Coat, which means I added a couple gallons of water that was NOT dechlorinated. I went to add the next bucket and realized my error. I immediately added extra Stress Coat with the next bucket, and tested that the water in the tank was 0 for chlorine, which it was. The fish were exposed to the chlorine for 10 minutes max, hopefully a few minutes less. One danio is acting weird and hanging out on the bottom, but everyone else seems fine. Would <10 minutes of exposure be enough to cause serious damage? Hoping he'll be OK. Anything else I should be doing?

I've put the StressZyme away somewhere else so I won't make the mistake again.

Back
Top Bottom