chocolate gouramis and giant danios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
in a 55gal, would the giant danios pester the heck out of the gouramis? I have heard they are a very peaceful fish. I know nothing about the chocolates, so I don't even know if they are compatible.

From what I know, chocolate gouramis are pretty finicky fish and they are not well-suited to the average community. However, I have not owned them, before, so this is just what I have read.
I suggest you PM severum mama since she has experience with them. :)

Danios and chocolates

in a 55gal, would the giant danios pester the heck out of the gouramis? I have heard they are a very peaceful fish. I know nothing about the chocolates, so I don't even know if they are compatible.

Chocolate gouramies tend to be a more shy retiring fish and the activity of such a large danio might create big problems. The fact that you have a larger tank might overcome this situation but I think you would be better served to either go with smaller danios (ie zebras, pearls, etc.) or just create a more peaceful environment for the gouramies. Maybe mix some Rasboras Hets and other smaller colorful non hyperactive fish.

Hope this helps(y)

I wouldn't really recommend it. My experience with chocolates in a community did not end well. They ended up dying from stress from even really peaceful fish like pristella tetras. I would try a species setup. I've been given some really great advice on how you could keep them in a species-only black water setup (they are sensitive to water quality and do prefer acidic water).

JMO. Good luck (y)

Based on my experience with chocolate gouramis, I would recommend them for either a species tank, or a VERY peaceful community. I have kept them with panda cories and that worked well, but Imo giant danios would just stress them to death. Also, I am of the opinion that chocolates do much better in a blackwater environment with little current. Giant danios prefer cooler water with a swift current. They just really are not compatible Imo.

thank you all! i decided to pass on the chocolates because although they look cool I just don't have available what they need. Maybe in the future. Now, what the heck am I going to put in with my danios, i just can't decide.

Suggestion...

thank you all! i decided to pass on the chocolates because although they look cool I just don't have available what they need. Maybe in the future. Now, what the heck am I going to put in with my danios, i just can't decide.

How about a nice school of non aggressive barbs to keep with the Danios. Rosys, Golds, clowns, checkered, etc.
:fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2:

I had tigers with them before be liked the combination Maybe I'll do it again.

Back
Top Bottom