Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cichlid Mix

I was wondering if you fellow AA members could help me out. I was wondering if you were able to mix african cichlids with anything else, such as semi-aggressive tropicals (rainbow sharks, bala sharks, etc.). I do know their parameters are slightly different but was unsure if your able to make it work.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I've kept cichlids in the past with large Silver Dollars, Irodescent Sharks, and Pacu. The ones you've named do not get big enough in the long run to continue to stand up to the African's. They may start out ok, but in the long run they aren't going to last. Even the ones I mentioned will eventually start getting picked on. Personally, I don't mix any more.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I currently have African mbuna cichlids with a red tailed shark. They have been together for about 6 months with no problems. They pretty much stay out of each other's way.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've heard that red tail sharks do well. Synodontis catfish come from the African rift lakes and do well with mbunas.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:51 PM   #5

It depends a lot on the African cichlids you are talking about. 'African cichlids' includes over 10% of all the freshwater species of fish on the planet.

In general I have found the following to live well with different types of African cichlids: Synodontis spp. catfish, Polypterus spp. bichirs, bristlenose plecos, rainbowfish, many Central and South American cichlids, and many other large fish.

PM me for an article on stocking and compatibility.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Specifically red fin zebras, yellow labs, and albino zebras. I also have a spotted pleco and a bushy nose pleco in there.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLcichlidlover
I currently have African mbuna cichlids with a red tailed shark. They have been together for about 6 months with no problems. They pretty much stay out of each other's way.
Okay thats actually the fish I wanted. Thank you for your help.

Tags
cichlid, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com