Cichlids and Bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mjb018

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it possible to have both types if fish in the same tank? I've heard that they might fight or be aggressive, any body put them together before?

I personally would not mix the two. The betta is slow moving where as cichlids are rather quick. There are some species of cichlids like rams that are fairly docile but my advice would to not try it.

Cichlids will most likely tear that betta up. Please don't be one of those people who ask about, don't listen to the answer, do it anyways, and come back and tell us , "Wow they really tore him up! " I really dislike that.

I have a pair of delta tail bettas in with my Laetacara dorsiger, and there are no issues. So, it depends on the type of cichlid. It might be safer to say no, arbitrarily, but it isn't necessarily correct. Size of the cichlid is not necessarily the criteria, as you wouldn't put cories with Nanacara anomala, even though they are about the same size, or the cories are larger.

Cichlid is a very broad term, and I don't think there's a yes or no answer that can apply to all of them. There's a general no, but wouldn't something like rams or apistos work?

Thanks for the info guy!

I guess I wont be mixing them together. I'll just get some cichlids when I do my 2nd tank.

Kudos to you for doing the right thing, and not just throwing them in a tank together to see if everyone was right.
I will give you rep points for that. :D

Kudos to you for doing the right thing, and not just throwing them in a tank together to see if everyone was right.
I will give you rep points for that. :D

that is a good idea! they should make reprimand points too lol. so when somebody does something stupid, or is being a butt, we can just add to their a hole points.

Cichlid is a very broad term, and I don't think there's a yes or no answer that can apply to all of them. There's a general no, but wouldn't something like rams or apistos work?

I won't rule out apistos, as I've never kept them. That's not to say they're appripriate, but I just don't know enough about them. However, rams are just larger, stronger fish. The betta is rather skinny and ornamental, while rams seem to have larger bio-mass. Although rams are docile generally, any sort of confrontation would result in betta injury or death IMO.

Yes I agree with taylor, I just got my betta yesterday but he does seem so fragile. He is also quite the slow swimmer. IMO no match for a cichlid

Back
Top Bottom