Clay pots from Wal-Mart clouding my water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chad C

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Recently I picked up some terracotta pots from my local walmart to add to my aquariums for deco/hideouts. After chiseling out the drain holes to keep fish from getting stuck, and rinsing them thoroughly I added one single pot to my 55 gallon.

A couple days later I noticed a white haze to my water. I didnt suspect the pot because a couple of days earlier I did a large water change and cleaned one of my filters, so I figured it was just a bacterial bloom.

A week later I added 3 pots to my 20 gallon. Last night I noticed that the water in my 20 gallon was extremely cloudy and the fins on my guppies were beginning to deteriorate. THIS is when I suspected that it was the pots that was causing this.

Last night I decided to remove the pots and do a 90% water change on both aquariums. Everything looked good until I turned my filters back on. When the filters began to flow I watched the haze get released back into the aquarium almost instantly. I assumed it was just the water that was left standing in the filters, so I decided to call it a night and see what it looked like in the morning.

Waking up today, its just as bad as it was before I did the water change.. I need pointers guys, I'm worried I'm going to lose my fish =((

well i use clay pots from walmart for my angel fish to lay eggs on and i have never had anything like that happen so my guess is a bacteria bloom . not saying it wasnt a contaminated set of pots but

Back
Top Bottom