Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Clay pots from Wal-Mart clouding my water?

Recently I picked up some terracotta pots from my local walmart to add to my aquariums for deco/hideouts. After chiseling out the drain holes to keep fish from getting stuck, and rinsing them thoroughly I added one single pot to my 55 gallon.

A couple days later I noticed a white haze to my water. I didnt suspect the pot because a couple of days earlier I did a large water change and cleaned one of my filters, so I figured it was just a bacterial bloom.

A week later I added 3 pots to my 20 gallon. Last night I noticed that the water in my 20 gallon was extremely cloudy and the fins on my guppies were beginning to deteriorate. THIS is when I suspected that it was the pots that was causing this.

Last night I decided to remove the pots and do a 90% water change on both aquariums. Everything looked good until I turned my filters back on. When the filters began to flow I watched the haze get released back into the aquarium almost instantly. I assumed it was just the water that was left standing in the filters, so I decided to call it a night and see what it looked like in the morning.

Waking up today, its just as bad as it was before I did the water change.. I need pointers guys, I'm worried I'm going to lose my fish =((

Old 06-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

well i use clay pots from walmart for my angel fish to lay eggs on and i have never had anything like that happen so my guess is a bacteria bloom . not saying it wasnt a contaminated set of pots but

Tags
clay, clay pots, cloud

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com