Clean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grand1011

Aquarium Advice Activist
I Have a 5 gallon quarinrine tank that has been sitting, and not running, with water for about a month. A biofilm has formed on it and the water is dirty. This week I would like to clean it out but I don't know if it would be better to get rid of the entire tank If not, what should be used to disinfect it?

If you empty it, rinse everything then let it all dry out for a week or two then it'll be fine to use again. Any diseases won't live. If you need to use it ASAP use 1 part bleach to 9 parts water to clean it. Rinse well and let it dry out or rinse with 5x prime and water.

I hate chemicals with fish tanks but I guess once dried it's ok, just rinse after well.
I would just dump the water, rinse and let it dry, you'll be fine either way.

Bleach does not evaporate, so I would suggest the 5x prime rinsing if you choose to use that method.

Yes, bleach does evaporate. If you let it sit, it will slowly dissipate. Adding Prime or other water conditioner with chlorine remover in it will neutralize it.

Back
Top Bottom