Clean hands??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay maybe I am getting a little OCD but what do you all use on your hands/arms before scaping or doing maintenance in an occupied tank? No chemicals is a no brainer, but if I use soap to clean them, what do I use to make sure I am soap free or am I simply overthinking this[emoji57]
Along the same line of thought, how do you care for your nets? Do you clean them regularly and if so with what? Do you store your nets dry or keep them soaking in a solution filled container rather like hairdresser/barbers combs?

Thoroughly rinse off hands and arms all the way to the elbows with water only.
I've heard people argue about keeping nets soaked in an antibiotic solution or drying them out.
IMO, for a amateur home based fishkeeper, keeping the nets dry in between usage is the way to go. That's what I do and have never had a problem spreading disease between tanks.
Sterilizing nets in a solution is probably your best bet when dealing with a commercial or breeding situation.
It all comes down to common sense. Unless you have just changed the oil in the car or sprayed for bugs, just rinse off with water. If your tanks all appear healthy, and nothing new was added, no need for net sterilization. Remember there is nothing 100% risk free. Don't worry too much.

Personally I wash my arms up to my elbows with unscented Dawn dish soap and rinse it off really good. I hang dry my nets.

Personally I wash my arms up to my elbows with unscented Dawn dish soap and rinse it off really good. I hang dry my nets.

same here. if ive been doing something that i think will contaminate the tank i wash my hands with dawn. if ive just been around the house watching tv or playing on the computer i dont even wash them. i also hang dry my nets. no problems here.

same here. if ive been doing something that i think will contaminate the tank i wash my hands with dawn. if ive just been around the house watching tv or playing on the computer i dont even wash them. i also hang dry my nets. no problems here.
I'm a little more anal about washing my hands. I do it anytime Im going to put my hands in the tank. I even wash them before grabbing their food to feed them. Lol

If I’m not handling any chemicals, cleaners etc. nothing. I do rinse after going inside the tank.

I have fostered/rehabilitated animals for the majority of my life. Warm blooded, mostly, but also cold blooded and inverts. Young, old, sick, etc. This means a lot of hand washing. Unless I'm trying to kill pathogens, I use cetaphil soap. It's mild on my skin and mild on anything I'm going to be touching. No scents. No foaming sulfates. Just plain ol' cleanser.

Back
Top Bottom