Cleaned tank dead fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spritelhs

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just cleaned out my fish take today. Yesterday I filled a bucket with water to let it sit out for 24 hours. I put the water in and the fish and now a few hours later the fish is floating on its side.

I didn't use and soaps or chemicals when I clean, just warm water.

Any suggestions.

spritelhs...

There are so many possibilities here that I can't really tell you for sure what the problem was. However...these things immediately come to mind:

1) Do you know what was used in that bucket before you used it to 'age' your water? It is very possible that some residue remained in the bucket and contaminated your water.
2) It is also very possible that letting your water sit for 24 hours wasn't sufficient to remove the chloramines from the water. Back in the 'old days', water was purified with chlorine and letting the water sit for 24 hours was long enough for the majority of the remaining chlorine to dissipate. Modern water treatment facilities use chloramines to treat water...and chloramines don't dissipate as well as old-fashioned chlorine. Try using one the the commercial water treatments on your water next time.
3) What was the temperature of the water you used? If it was too cold for your fish then it isn't surprising that it died. Most tropicals can't stand dramatic water temperature changes (either up nor down).
4) How long had it been since you cleaned your tank? If it had been a while then it is likely that the water in the tank was somewhat acidic. If you replaced that water with new water with a significantly different pH then you could be witnessing the effects of pH shock on your fish.

There are a number of other considerations to take into account but one or more of the above is likely the culprit in the problems with your fish.

A bit more info is in order.

What size tank, what fish, how much water did you changed, How long have you had the setup, is this your first water change ...

Did you use any dechlorinator? If not, does your water have chloramines instead of chlorine as disinfectant (chloramine will not be out of the water in 24 hrs)?

What was in the bucket before? soap? insecticide?

I am just guessing here, some more info will help in narrowing the cause.

Back
Top Bottom