cleaned the inside of my tank with fantastic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffs10

Aquarium Advice Activist
I cleaned the inside of my tank with a chemical aka fantastic. I wasnt thinking 2 good. I rinsed well with water But do you think my fish are suffering side effects from this? I having trouble with ich and i just remebered i did that. if the fish are having trouble is there anything i can do to fix this. the tanks been going for about 1.5 months.

Ack! Fantastik? Oh dear; I'd pull the fish out and get them into a clean container with treated, temp matched fresh water. Fantastik contains not only chemicals (they don't list exactly what; its proprietory) but soaps as well and is very alkaline. All of which can kill your fish if every bit hasn't been rinsed out. There is nothing you can do to "fix" it except to continue rinsing the tank until your hands are wrinkled and blue.

Also keep an eye out for ammonia and nitrite spikes; my guess is since you killed everything off with the Fantastik the tank will cycle again.

OK...let me get this straight.... did you clean the tank with Fantastik one and a half months ago?? If that's the case then I'd say that your fish aren't having any problems because of the cleaner. That stuff will have been broken down by your bacteria and shouldn't pose any problem. On the other hand...if you just recently used the Fantastik then you need to do daily water changes (about 10-25%) for a week or so.

ok here is what i did.

Set up the tank first time it ran for about a week with no fish. my brother was moving and he needed a place for his fish while he moved. So he brought them over here 12 fish they all died within a week (this was before i knew anything about the cycle) so i figured i would clean the tank i drained it and whiped the inside with fantastic and rinsed the tank.

Then i refilled it and now ran for a week this time adding stress zyme to help the cycle and added 3 fish they got ich 2 died now the tank has been running for 1.5 months after i washed it. it has cycled and now my new batch of fish have ich. but they have healed. Do you think the tanks is alright or should i drain it and clean it really good?

Fantastik

Your tank is not suffering from the Fantastik :roll: , leave the tank itself alone.
Your tank has apparently gone thru its cycle after a month and a half and is now suffering from ICH. Read Allivymars article on ridding your tank from ICH in the articles section of this site. Very good article and you won't have ICH again unless you re-introduce it from new fish ect...

edited to add:
Yo, even if you lose this last fish follow thru with the ICH treatment, your tank will still be cycled and you can add more fish without hopefully bringing home any more ICH from your LFS

Ahh ok. I misread. If the tank has been running for a month and a half, and the fish are alive, then I wouldn't worry. I read that as you had just cleaned the tank with Fantastik.

If you have treated the tank fully and completely for ich, and there has been no sign for at least a week, then it shouldn't be in the tank anymore. No need to nuke it.

thanks for all the help. I am have been treating the ich for 5 days now and the spots are starting to dissapear. thanks for all the help

jeff

Just to let you know, Cycle does not help your cycle & can actually do harm (adding extra waste). The only product that can help a cycle is Bio-Spira.

Yes, which unfortunately is hard to come by for now. At least until Marineland get their new stocks grown and start shipping it again :(.
(It was always hard to find in Canada, had to smuggle it in :) )

Bio-Spira is a Marineland product, and it is the only product that actually contains the correct bacteria(s) to just about instantly cycle a tank.

Your LFS should keep it refrigerated (when they can get it again), to keep the bacteria inactive and alive.

Back
Top Bottom