cleaning acrylic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

In my new 10 gallon, which is acrylic, I am getting a lot of... well i guess i could just call it gunk.. its not really algae... on the sides of the tank.. it wipes off easily with my fingers, but i was just wondering, whats the best tool for cleaning the inside of acrylic without scratching it? Will one of those sponge things on a stick be to abrasive?

I have used the sponge scraper and it works without scratching the acrylic. Its soft enough not to scratch but takes off the algae.

Agree with fishyfanatic - I have used an algae pad on my acrylic tank, to get off the algae and the soft gunk. However, make sure it's an acrylic-safe pad. The brand of pads I buy are white for acrylic. The glass pads are green.

I would skip the algae pads altogether and get snails

I had spot algae and a magnetic algae pad, and eco complete.
bad combination. I ended up picking up the Iron heavy eco complete with the magna thing and scratched my acrylic tank.

NOW I have olive nerite snails from AZ gardens... they are brackish bred, but can live in fresh water without breeding.. and they are incredible glass cleaners. Haven't seen any algae on my glass ever since I got them.

No more pads, no more scratches!!!

Back
Top Bottom