Cleaning Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have brown algae all over the rocks in my tank. how do i get it off safely without hurting my fish. tank is stable been up for many years.

I have brown algae all over the rocks in my tank. how do i get it off safely without hurting my fish. tank is stable been up for many years.

If they are easily removable, take them out and scrub with an old toothbrush.
If they are not easily removable, leave them in and scrub with an old toothbrush.

If it is very thick algae/cyanobacteria, turn off all flow in the tank, lightly apply 3% H2O2 over the rock surface with a syringe, leave for 10 minutes, turn flow back on, wait a day and remove dead matter.

Turn rock so algae is facing down.

But some snails/shrimp/oto catfish to help combat future growth.

Thank you. we have a bristlenose but he isnt doing a good job.

I have never had plec's do anything in regards to algae. I have seen oto cats and snails do the job though. The munch during night hours, I went to sleep with a completely green rock, woke up to a bare rock with clear signs of an oto cat eating.

If scrubbing doesn't work, just flip the rocks over. The undersides are likely to be algae free. In a month or so flip the rocks back to the original positions. The algae problem most likely will have dissolved away. I routinely practice that maneuver. I like rearranging the scape anyway. It breaks up cichlid territories and keeps me from becoming bored. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom