Cleaning bio wheels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrcoolt

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have a Bio Wheel 350, which has dual wheels on it. I have cleaned the cartridges in tank water, but can I do the same with the wheels? If I'm not mistaken, that is where all of the beneficial bacteria sits, I do not want to have to recycle my tank. It is finally stable in all parameters, and is the way I want it for now.

jrcoolt said:
So I have a Bio Wheel 350, which has dual wheels on it. I have cleaned the cartridges in tank water, but can I do the same with the wheels? If I'm not mistaken, that is where all of the beneficial bacteria sits, I do not want to have to recycle my tank. It is finally stable in all parameters, and is the way I want it for now.

When I had the bio wheels I NEVER touched them until they were falling apart. I didn't even swish then around in tank water. I just let them be.

Convict2161 said:
When I had the bio wheels I NEVER touched them until they were falling apart. I didn't even swish then around in tank water. I just let them be.

+1 to that

OK cool. I won't touch them. They are just looking kinda gunky. I'm sure they are supposed to look that way. Thank you!

The only thing that should be cleaned is the posts it rotates on if the wheel stops moving. The rest is fine just as it is like others have said.

I would never clean it. If for some reason it's not turning right sometimes the edges need to be cleaned of some gunk if that's preventing it from rotating.

Back
Top Bottom