Cleaning fake plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

its_kay_10

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 10 gal. with 4 Danios in it. I have noticed recently that our fake plants have a kind of brown covering on them how can I clean them?

I have a 10 gal. with 4 Danios in it. I have noticed recently that our fake plants have a kind of brown covering on them how can I clean them?

This is likely diatoms and is completely normal. Diatoms quite often appear in new tanks under 6 months old due to silicates in the water. Silicates are released by new sand and new tanks. Once they are gone it goes away.

Just to be sure though, how long are the lights on every day?

This is likely diatoms and is completely normal. Diatoms quite often appear in new tanks under 6 months old due to silicates in the water. Silicates are released by new sand and new tanks. Once they are gone it goes away.

Just to be sure though, how long are the lights on every day?

I usually turn the lights on between 7-8 am and they get shut off around 9:30 pm. We have the blue lights for the glofish

I have a similar problem and found that reducing the hours of light helped minimize the problem. I cleaned some of mine by rubbing between my fingers but there has to be a better way, I just don't know it,

That's a long time to have the lights on every day.

Cut it back to 8 hours a day and you will see it go down

Caleb

That's a long time to have the lights on every day.

Cut it back to 8 hours a day and you will see it go down

Caleb

Thanks were out of town for the weekend so when I get home I'll try that.

Sent from my XT1030 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a similar problem and found that reducing the hours of light helped minimize the problem. I cleaned some of mine by rubbing between my fingers but there has to be a better way, I just don't know it,

Thank you!

Sent from my XT1030 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom