Cleaning Filter Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grant R

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Tonight, I thought it was about time I cleaned my filter media. ( A small, bristley sponge type thing) as I could see things clogging up badly.
I basically gave it a good, thorough rinse in warm hot water and after, added some ammo lock 2.

Is this OK, or should I have taken some water from the tank and rinsed in that to avoid contact with chlorine etc ??

I have always been told to use tank water, especially if your water has chlorine in it. The chlorine will kill off beneficial bacteria. I have well water I rinse my freshwater filters with, but always use tank water for the saltwater filter, just incase.

filter media

I think you would be all right to use tap water as long as you added some tap water conditioner to take care of the chlorine and chloramines. When you do a water change would be a good time to wash the filter using the tank water before you dispose of it though.
Logan J

Re: filter media

loganj said:
When you do a water change would be a good time to wash the filter using the tank water before you dispose of it though.
Logan J

I'm going to have to disagree with this. I was taught this a long time ago, and still feel this one holds up. "Don't clean filter at the same time you do a water change". I clean my filters at times I am NOT changing water (except for maybe a couple quarts to rinse fiter media). This is to avoid changing too many things at once, which can lead to upset water chemistry, or large die-offs of the beneficial bacteria. So basically, one week I clean the filter, next week do the water change. I feel this leads to smoother transitions and less potential for disruption of conditions.

Just my opinion, but it has stood the test of time and works for me.

filters

Good point...all my freshwater filters are running Bio-Wheels so changing the cartridge doesn't affect the biological capacity as much. I wonder what kind of filter Grant is using? Most of them have some type of bio media and it's probably also a good idea to alternate cleaning this and changing filter cartridges.
Logan J

*boing*

Thought I'd re-bounce this topic back up to get other peoples thoughts and opinons. LoganJ - I use a Rena Filter, with a cylindrical sponge at the bottom end acting as the filter media. I'm not sure off-hand the exact spec, or anything else. I do have the info somewhere !!

Hmmmmm...sounds like a standard internal box filter to me. I use a fluval 1, which contains an open lattice sponge as its only media. I find it works fine for my needs, all i do is rinse it out in tank water when i do a water change, and the water chemistry changes very little overall.In all the books i've read, it states never use hot, tapwater to clean a filter like this as you decimate the bacteria population.I consider this sound advice,(considering i have a biological background!!!)

I tend to agree with Jurassic, I have fluval 1 on my 7G Q/Growout tank and when I do water changes I just rinse the sponge of the filter under some cold water. My external filters I clean the same way as corvuscorax, as I was taught the same thing.

PS What I do, do though is to was the filter media in the water that is still in the filter before throwing it away, I don't rinse it under tap water until the sixth month then give it a good cleaning, but not under hot water.

I've got Emperor's w/ biowheels also. At first I changed the cartridges every month. Then I found out I could save money by continuing to clean them and use them for up to 3 months. Of course, I could not use tank water, because I needed the water pressure to clean them well. After 3 mos. I would find the cartridge was falling apart tho'. Then I got an AquaClear with the sponges, you don't have to replace. Began cleaning those sponges in tank water so as not to kill good bacteria on the sponge (no biowheel on these). Then I have just read on another site that I don't have to buy those expensive cartridges for the Emperors, that you can use the same sponges that the AquaClear uses and separate carbon if you need it. That's something I am going to try just as soon as I can get to a pet store, money is tight here and that would save lots of it! Anyone try this?

NO, NO, NO, tap water bad>

If you use straight tapwater to clean your biological filter(assuming there is chlorine and chloramine in your water), you will kill the bacteria in the filter. Use only tank water and only clean the sponge until water flows freely through it, do not overclean as you do need that gunk.

Emperor

On the Emperor cartridges, here's how you beat the money game :). Go to Wal Mart and buy a roll of quilt batting. It's in the craft section. You want it about 1/2" thick. It's called "highloft". Cost you about $8.00 for a piece that is about 7' x 8'. Last you over a year. Take your old filter cartridge and tear the blue filter floss off of it...it's glued on. Dump the old carbon and rinse the plastic frame. Replace the carbon with new. Cut a piece of the quilt batting that is about 1" larger all the way around than the frame. Wrap it around the front and secure it with three rubber bands. New filter cartridge...cost...pennies. Been doing it for years...works great. You can do this on Penguin carts also.
Logan J

Cricket- I love my Aquaclears! and I use AC sponges in my marineland and penguin filters too. Seems to work fine for me. But I want to Thank loganj(?)- for the idea of the quilt batting thats sounds like a good idea, I'm going to try that too, sometime.
My favorite tip for carbon, ammonia chips, and /or any other media is to use cheap "thoroughly rinsed" pantyhose, instead of buying the media bags. Works great I've done it for years!
I have well water and rinse my filters under my tap water usually not at the same time as a water change. Another good tip I read once was to cut your sponge in half and only rinse half at a time to save the bacteria, or to use 2 sponges in the filter and rinse the bottom sponge every week or 2 and rotate (the rinsed sponge on top) the sponges.
Good luck to all and Happy Holidays!!

Back
Top Bottom