Cleaning Glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi All,

What do you use to clean the inside of your glass aquarium? I have a new 36 gal bow front and want to avoid scratching the glass at all costs. What do most of you use? I have an Albino Pleco but he's not doing the job...
Thanks-D

They have magnetic algae cleaners that are really good. They don't scratch and you don't have to put your hand in the tank. Even a pc. of batting on a chopstick does the job. I only do the front so that there is algae for the algae eaters.

With glass aquariums any algae scraper or razor blade works well. The algae scrapers use a more flexible blade than normal hard box cutter type razor so you're probably less likely to get tiny burrs on the blade which would scratch the glass. I've never had any issues with any of my scrapers, I have like 4 different types

I would get two more pleco's for that size tank. You should also give them algae tablets now and then since they rarely get enough food from the sides of tank and plants or decorations. Also many pet shops have scrubbing pads for cleaning, one type for glass and another for acrylic.

Stainless steel blade from kent marine works very well. I avoid mag cleaners because they end up catching gravel and scratching ur glass so you cant go all the way to the bottom.. Razor blade are a no because they rust. Keep your phosphates low because thats what algae feeds on.

I've never used one, but I've heard of many others on the site using a credit card.

Thanks everyone. I've noticed too that if I keep a power head on, it helps keep all of the small plant debris from floating around and helps the filter to trap that stuff.

Back
Top Bottom