Cleaning Glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't use Windex or any of those glass cleaning products. All the chemicals (including ammonia) can be dangerous to your fishies. The best thing I've tried has actually been straight vinegar. Breaks down the white hard water marks, doesn't streak and the fumes are safe for fish :)

I use glass cleaner, generic brand kind .... I just don't go overboard with spraying it on firehose style... just a quick mist here and there is enough to clean all the glass.

some avoid glass cleaner alltogether claiming it puts toxins in the tank ... I've never had any problems with using glass cleaner, and this warm water business does not remove greasy finger-prints or hard-water stains... is just smears things around and leaves a nice hazy film!

now if you're talking acrylic and not glass, I would not recommend glass cleaner, as it contains microabresives to clean hard glass, but will scratch soft plastic, leaving it with a permanent haze.

hope this helps

I use a moist, lint free towel.

Gets rid of finger marks, water stains and everythuing else. and it dosn't leave a haze on my [glass] tank :D

I just use a wet paper towel. Often sometimes the mess is on the inside not outside. Use an algae scrubber to clean the inside before a water change.

I use a mixture of water and white vinegar, 10:1, and it works perfectly. But I don't use it because I'm worried about the fish, I just prefer using it to clean my windows. When I did use windex I just sprayed it away from the tank onto the paper towel, and it was always the last task I did for tank maintenence. Didn't have a problem.

On the side note, interestingly enough, if you have any crystal in the house and ever get to wash that thing, vinegar in the water make it sparkle really well.

What do you guys recommend to scrub off the crud that forms from evaporation at the water line?

-J

jratuszn said:
What do you guys recommend to scrub off the crud that forms from evaporation at the water line?

-J

The tank I just got from a friend... he had well water. I had to use a razor blade to get the scale off the water line.

Are you talking about cleaning the tank while it is running (the outside) of before setup (the inside). You can get away with a lot more if there is nothing inside the tank, though vinegar and water is always a good choice. If it is a glass tank I have used aquarium salt (prior to setup) with a little bit of water and a rag as an abbrassive cleaner. Works great for me.

I use baby wipes for both inside (before setup) and out. The cloths can withstand light scrubbing and the detergent is very mild.

Detergent inside a tank is never a good idea. Make sure you rinse that out really well. One of the best "cleaners" for a tank is pure bleach. It can be removed just using dechlorinator.

i use class cleaner and dont get no prob's as long as the air pipe that gos in to the tank is not near it you should not get any in the tank... :idea:

Back
Top Bottom