Cleaning inside glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lynx

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I`ve just completely resealed a 29 gallon tank for an upgrade. All tested, but I was told to wash down the inside with dish detergent prior to addding fish. I`m a bit leery about that. Is this the proper way to go? I`d like to get the water filtering tomorrow.

Thanks

I wouldn't use any dish detergent at all. Some of the components are lethal to fish. Instead, use a diluted bleach solution (not the scented kind).

Welcome to AA, Lynx! :smilecolros:

Nooooooooo!!!!!! You don't ever want to use any detergent near your fish! Who suggested this? I hope it wasn't your lfs.

I assume that you gave the silicone a day or so to cure, and that you filled the tank completely and tested for leaks. In that case, the best thing to do would be to rinse it several times with plain old tap water to remove any dirt and trace amounts of acetic acid from the newly cured silicone.

Then, fill it up, add an appropriate amount of dechlorinator, get the heater going, and set up the filter.

Check out the articles about cycling. If you have another tank already set up, you can use some of its filter media and gravel to speed up the process. Ask lots of questions as things come up!

WOW! First of all, want to thank you guys for your UNBELIEVEABLY FAST replies!! My suspicions are confirmed. I got that advice from the the maker of the sealant(DAP). After he gave me that answer, I didn`t talk to him` much longer. I`ve had a small tank for quite a few years, and it didn`t sound right to me. Yes, By tomorrow it will be 48 hours or so. I filled it today(after 24) outside on a piece of styrofoam(patio) for a number of hours, and all is well! It`s now empty to continue curing. I do intend to run it for about 24 hours with the filter/heater, and much of the gravel now in the old tank to get the proper bacteria going. Also an aireater to help dissipate the chlorine. Does that sound long enough? Did have it at that point when I discovered the leak. Glad it happened then rather than after everthing was in it(ugh). Anyway, I`m very excited about the new home for my fish. Can`t wait to see it set up!
Again I thank you very much for the answers. I can now carry on with procedures.

Brad

Hi Lynx!

Check back with the sealant manufacturer (DAP) to make sure there are no fungicides or coloring agents in the sealant, as these can leach out and harm the fish. You need to use aquarium silicone or clear 100% silicone sealants.

Also, with today's dechlorinators, it is no longer necessary to 'age' water. Most people just add the recommended dose of dechlor to the tank as it is filling - chlorine is inactivated immediately. Most dechlors also inactivate chloramines and remove heavy metals too.

As QTO said, the sealant should not have the algaecide. Sometimes those with the algaecide/fungicide are marketed as bathroom/kitchen silicone or as being mildew-proof/resistant.

Also, depending on how your tap water is treated, if your city uses chloramines instead of chlorine, ageing the water for a couple of days will not be enough to remove the chloramines. You will need to find a dechlor that will remove chloramines as well. Again, as QTO pointed out, most dechlors will do so, but some don't.

Hi QTOFFER,

Yes, it was aquarium sealant I used. I was going to get a caulking gun tube of 100% silicone, as its quite a bit cheaper, but didn`t want to take a chance. Are you saying that as long as it says 100% silicone, it`s safe to use? I have "Stress Coat" by aquarium pharmaceuticals. It does do all that you mentioned. Aside from that, should I still let the filter which has been running in my old tank,along with the gravel, go for a while in order to get the "good stuff" into the water? If so, how long? I`m also going to syphon some of the old tank water into the new. For the past hour, I`ve been flushing the tank out with a hose. Is there any problem with using hose water for the fish? If the water temps are within a degree or two, can I just place them in without bagging? And one more(sorry), should I vary the feeding at all, prior to placing the fish into the new tank?

Can`t say thanks enough to everyone,
These answers have been a HUGE help!

if you're adding gravel or filter media from the old tank into the new, make sure the bacteria have a food source..they need ammonia to survive. The 'good stuff' as you call it is not in the water, but in gravel and filter.

You will need to test your water and make sure the tank cycles (adding the old gravel and filter medial should speed this up). However, the only way to really tell is to test the water with a good liquid reagent test kit. Don't use the test strips.

100% silicone is fine.

Stresscoat is good too.

If your filter has been running continuously with your fish in the old tank, you can switch it over to the new tank so long as it's powerful enough to filter a 29 gal. If possible, try to seed the new tank with some or all of the gravel from the old. You could place some in a nylon, if you're planning to buy new gravel for the new tank.

The 'good stuff' you refer to is colonies of bacteria that form a film on any solid surface in the tank and filter - they don't live in the water itself. However, I think it's a good idea to transfer as much water as possible from the old tank to the new so your fish won't suffer any drastic changes in pH.

You do want to keep the temp stable. A 1 or 2 degree difference shouldn't be a problem - fish get more stressed by colder water, so it's better to err on the warm side.

Water from a hose is OK so long as the hose is drinking water safe.

Hi All,
I`m happy to report everything is well. Got the gravel, rocks, ect,, the way I wanted it. The tanks were brought to exact temps, added stress coat, and tested the water. Put the fish in after running for several hours, and they seem quite pleased with their roomier home. Not as large as many of yours I`m sure, but,,,,it`s all relative, right?. I`m extremely happy with the way it turned out. A real pleasure to look at. Makes it that much more gratifying after so much work put into it. Still breaking down the old tank and getting it cleaned of calcium and what not, but I`m in the home stretch.
I`ve learned alot over this process, which makes anything more interesting. Just wanted to let you know, and say THANKS AGAIN! You people were a tremendous help.

Brad
PS: Hope I replied in the right area. Wanted to direct this at all of you.

Back
Top Bottom