Cleaning old aquarium help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tyler2354

Aquarium Advice Activist
Who has had success cleaning the calcium deposits and stuff off an old aquarium with vinegar? Because I have not. I used vinegar and steel wool and it hasn't came off. What are my other options?

Don't use steel wool. Give a new razor blade a try. Also soak some towels in warm vinegar and drape over tank for few hours before trying to scrape it off.

+1, steel wool will scratch your tank big time. Vinegar will cut through, just takes time and letting it soak.

Yes steel wool will kill your glass. Also when using a razor blade be careful. My tank has some deep scratches because the previous owner had gone crazy with one

I feel your pain. I spent about an hour trying to clean a small amount of calcium off my brand new (used) tank...and only got 2/3rds of it off.

A friend suggested using CLR and a Magic Eraser; unfortunately I had neither!

i took calcium deposite off a tank with a sander. its the portable sander you hold on one hand and you gonna use the buffing pad then use toothpaste, try to get the gritty toothpaste the one with baking soda in it. then buff the glass with it using then sander . remember you are using the buffer pad not sandpaper....the toothpaste acts as a polishing agent. worked wonders on a used tank i got a couple years ago...came out like new

Last edited:
i took calcium deposite off a tank with a sander. its the portable sander you hold on one hand and you gonna use the buffing pad then use toothpaste, try to get the gritty toothpaste the one with baking soda in it. then buff the glass with it using then sander . remember you are using the buffer pad not sandpaper....the toothpaste acts as a polishing agent. worked wonders on a used tank i got a couple years ago...came out like new

I do a little custom bike painting for fun, The above method will work, but unless you really know what you are doing, or willing to risk an "oops", Even a Cotton ball will create enough friction to damage glass, I'd highly recommend, the Vinegar and elbow grease method. If you cannot get it off the glass like that or with with a Razor blade, then chances are, even with a vibrating hand sander, you will do more damage then good. JMO and no disrespect meant to the above poster, but anything with a grit on glass is asking for trouble. Some tooth Pastes have fine pumice and when baking soda gets moist, it clumps and then becomes a grit.

Back
Top Bottom