Cleaning plastic plants...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hb3133

Aquarium Advice Activist
After cleaning my plastic plants, the green surface algae comes back after roughly 1 week. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to prolong the period between the time I clean my plants to the time the algae starts appearing. I am assuming this is a natural process but I was hoping I could delay it. I have a 20 gallon FW tank with 4 Harlequin Rasboras, 5 Black Neon Tetras and 4 Bronze Corydoras. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

to delay algae growth you could keep your light's turned off except when viewing. You could also get some algae eaters... Like some otocinclus catfish and maybe a small pleco (bristlenose) I wouldn't get both because you are pretty well stocked as it is. Either one or the other.. LOL.

You could also do more frequent water changes to keep the nitrate levels down.

If it is green algae, then your phosphate levels are high. Try reducing the amount of food that is given, not allowing excess leftovers. Also do more water changes to reduce the level. Do you have a phosphate test kit? You could also put in some live plants instead of fake ones.

I haven't thought about live plants. Do they require a good amount of maintenace time and care?

If any kind souls have any web links for live aquarium plants, I would be forever greatful. Also, should I invest in a otocinclus of some sort?

Back
Top Bottom