Cleaning Python (Mildew)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joey2619

Aquarium Advice Activist
How do you guys prevent mildew from forming inside your python hosing when not in use? I cant for the life of me ever seem to get the 50ft dry before storing it.

I'm in California so all I have to do is leave it outside in the sun for an hour while I take care of other things. You might want to try putting it near a heater and attaching an air pump to one end. Seal one end somehow so you get pressure pushing the water through the hose to the other end?

I remove most of the water by turning the tap on and opening the valve while rolling it up. I have a 50' python for 2 years now with no mildew.

thats what I would do, but if your not happy with those results you could leave them in the sun as mentioned, or run a a hair dryer at one end on low and dry it out that way lol

I always have some water still left in the tubes. We do water changes twice a week so I don't know if that helps.

piranha said:
Anyone ever bleach it out?

While I don't have a python (too slow), I do use a clear tygon hose, and have tried bleaching, by soaking the hose in a pail of bleach and water, but it is still there. The bleach will probably kill it, but it hasn't removed it on mine, and the hoses are too long to run a cleaning patch through them.

Yes, I get mildew in mine but I just ignore it. It isn't too bad.

Here's a thought. String(longer than the python), tied to a small weight or stone at one end. Tie a small cloth or abrasive pad to the other end of the string. Drop the weight into the python so it travels to the other end. When it does pull it through slowly so the pad or cloth travels through and cleans the python.

Okay...don't laugh at me but, I have a 75 footer and a huge yard. I studied with whips for a while in college so I go out to the middle of my yard and hold it at the halfway point and swing it over my head in a long slow cirlce a few times and then a couple of quick snaps before I reroll it. It was used when I bought it and I've had it for several months with no mildew. Also, the acetone and sunlight should work as well.

So put on some chaps, spurs, and get a hat...lol.

locorosa said:
Okay...don't laugh at me but, I have a 75 footer and a huge yard. I studied with whips for a while in college so I go out to the middle of my yard and hold it at the halfway point and swing it over my head in a long slow cirlce a few times and then a couple of quick snaps before I reroll it. It was used when I bought it and I've had it for several months with no mildew. Also, the acetone and sunlight should work as well.

That is awesome!

Joey2619 said:
Im just amazed that with all the people that have pythons, that none of them have the same problems as I.

Just noticed your post here Joey.
I have this same problem.
It's a fifty footer and it's only recently that the mold has appeared.
I was thinking I'd bleach it now and then but haven't gotten around to it yet.
I figured a 5 to 1 mixture in a five gallon bucket siphoned into the hose and left for a bit should take care of it.
Let me know how you make out with it........and I'll do the same.
No promises on when I'll get to it though :)

PS I'd pay to see that python/whip show of yours locorosa. :)

Zagz said:
I remove most of the water by turning the tap on and opening the valve while rolling it up. I have a 50' python for 2 years now with no mildew.

I do the same, and no mildew. And my Python is a 75'.

I don't know if its what keeps mine clear or not, but I bleach between tanks and haven't had mildew. I have a sink of bleach water, suck it through into the other sink, then reverse it to rinse it out. Only takes a minute and it disinfects. A quick wipe with a dipped paper towel disinfects the outside that goes into the water. :D

---------------------------------------
}}='=:> LB <:='={{
CanadiansInternet.com
CanadianAquariumConnection.com

Lonewolfblue said:
Zagz said:

I do the same, and no mildew. And my Python is a 75'.

Yep me too.........and I hold it up high as I coil it up so the rest of the water comes out.

locorosa said:

I would seriously like to see that on video :lol: .

---------------------------------------
}}='=:> LB <:='={{
CanadiansInternet.com
CanadianAquariumConnection.com

Back
Top Bottom