Cleaning siphon vacuum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishychick

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering if you guys clean your siphon vacuum and the tube. I rinse mine out and hang it up, but I'm not sure it ever really dries out. They have water spots, are starting to turn a little yellow and maybe have some mold inside the tube. Is there a way to clean them? Or do they have to just be replaced every once in a while? Thanks!
W

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I take mine outside, spin them round a few times, loop the tube inside the syphon and throw them in the garage

I don't even rinse mine when I'm done. I coil it up and use Velcro straps to contain it. Then I hang it up on the wall. I use it every Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a laundry tub sink I do most of my stuff in.

I have a siphon that hooks to the faucet for my larger 30 gallon and a small regular siphon I use in both.
I have found the small siphon is actually more powerful and can suck up TONS of small trumpet snail where the large one cant.

Anyway since I use it in both tanks and do my cleanings the same day I will rinse the small one under piping HOT tap water between uses.
Personally I feel its enough and the chlorinated hot tap water kills most if not all things.

1 cup bleach to 10 cups of water will clean it out. TBH I just ignore it.

If I decide to go the bleach route once in a while, will that then transfer bleach into my tank? Or will a good rinsing take care of that? I don't need them to be super clean or anything, but the mold bothers me and I'm currently trying to figure out what could be causing some deaths in one of my tanks. So I'm looking at everything and trying to be super careful. Thanks everyone for your responses!

I have a laundry tub sink I do most of my stuff in.

I have a siphon that hooks to the faucet for my larger 30 gallon and a small regular siphon I use in both.
I have found the small siphon is actually more powerful and can suck up TONS of small trumpet snail where the large one cant.

Anyway since I use it in both tanks and do my cleanings the same day I will rinse the small one under piping HOT tap water between uses.
Personally I feel its enough and the chlorinated hot tap water kills most if not all things.

Thanks! Yeah I was wondering if the chlorine in the water might help.

If I decide to go the bleach route once in a while, will that then transfer bleach into my tank? Or will a good rinsing take care of that? I don't need them to be super clean or anything, but the mold bothers me and I'm currently trying to figure out what could be causing some deaths in one of my tanks. So I'm looking at everything and trying to be super careful. Thanks everyone for your responses!

Bleach breaks down very quickly when exposed to elements. Just give it a good rinsing.

Back
Top Bottom