Cleaning Species for Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelFishGirl

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello! So I'm looking at purchasing a species of freshwater animal to go with my fish. I recently injured my knee and can't go up and down the stairs as much anymore (tank upstairs, no bathroom/sink up there)
My surgery is in a month in a half so I can't so a water change until it's over. I just did a water change 2 days ago, however.

Basically, I'm looking for a type of animal that will feed on decaying stuff on the ground that can prolong the amount of times I need to clean my tank. I can do one small change before the surgery, but nothing large, which is why I'm thinking of getting an animal with my fish.

What will feed off uneaten fish flakes and clean the gravel a little, to prevent so many water changes for just this month?

Snails? Crabs? I would love a crab or two, but unsure of what I'd need.

The tank is a 55 gallon (filled to the top)

I have mollies, guppies, tetras, a platy, angelfish, and two plecos.

The animals have to go along with that. Also, there's no decorations in my tank that could able it to go to the surface. It has to go up on its own.

Thank you!

I have 2 Satanoperca Jurupari (eartheaters) that do the job. They like to sift the substrate through their gills. They love sand and if you get them not too small they can even clean the gravel. They pick up a rock and suck the "good stuff" off and then spit the rock back out. They are a peaceful cichlid. I have them in my 55 gal with 8 danios and 1 baby Striped Rafael Catfish and they do great! Here's what they look like. Caution - they will move your gravel around and sometimes your plants! But they are so fun to watch!!:cool:

Attachments

• 2013-02-16 17.52.00.jpg
    2013-02-16 17.52.00.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 67
Wow those are really awesome!

Do they only go with cichlids though? Will they go with mollies, platys, tetras, angels, plecos, guppies?

Also, can they be purchased at places like Petsmart or Petco? Do you know the approximate price?

Really, your best option for reducing water changes is to reduce stocking levels. Adding more fish will worsen your problem because you'll have to feed more, and more nutrients in = more nutrients out in the form of water changes.

They are peaceful cichlids so they can go in a community tank. Like I said, I have mine with 8 little danios and they don't bother them at all. They should be fine with your fish. I don't know if your Petsmart or Petco carries them. I bought mine at a lfs for about $15 apiece. Mine are about 2" - 2.5" long.

Really, your best option for reducing water changes is to reduce stocking levels. Adding more fish will worsen your problem because you'll have to feed more, and more nutrients in = more nutrients out in the form of water changes.

That works too of course!! :)

Hello,

Add plants! That's probably your best option at the moment. Even slow growing plants can prolong the need for water changes.

Bottom feeders are not a substitute for water maintenance, unfortunately. They also require their portion of foods if you are to keep them healthy. Many of the fish you have pick off of the gravel, so I'm not sure adding bottom feeders is the answer.

David

Back
Top Bottom