Cleaning tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nilrem

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently added Java Moss to two of my tanks. I have noticed it is like tumble weeds in my tanks and dose not stay in the gravel but moves around. Possibly due to my shrimp and crab. How do I vacuum my tank with out loss of moss

Attachments

• image-2608522641.jpg
    image-2608522641.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 54
Hello Nil...

You don't need to vacuum a planted tank. The old plant and fish material that falls to the bottom will dissolve in the tank water and nourish your plants, so you won't really need to add expensive commercial fertilizers. The fish and the plants will provide the nutrients. All you need to do, is feed your fish a variety of healthy foods.

You do need to perform large water changes every week or two to remove unused nutrients. This guarantees a healthy tank.

Pretty simple.

B

Make sure I got this right just change water through siphon not necessarily vacuum the the tank. Please excuse me I am new to message boards and moving into another level of aquarist.

Tank Cleaning

Make sure I got this right just change water through siphon not necessarily vacuum the the tank. Please excuse me I am new to message boards and moving into another level of aquarist.

Hello again Nil...

The end of the syphon can be covered with a piece of ladies' nylon hosery and secured with a rubber band. This way, you simply remove the tank water and nothing else. You want to remove roughly half the water about every week or two and replace it with pure, treated tap water of about the same temperature. This removes the wastes the fish produce and replenishes elements the plants need for good health.

Your moss needs to be attached to a piece of driftwood or lava rock with strands of dark sewing thread or a rubber band, so it doesn't float around in the tank. The roots of the plant will grow into the pores of the wood or rock.

B

Back
Top Bottom