cleaning tank and algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djhamp

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am cleaning out a tank for reuse (55). I have all the fish re-homed. This tank had algae pretty bad. I have rinsed and scrubbed all the rocks and driftwood and they cleaned up fairly easy. I will probably get new sand and treat it like a new tank but I would like to reuse some of the rocks and driftwood. Wondering if I should let everything dry completely before setting it up again or is it better to keep the rocks wet?

Will the algae start up again using the old rocks? Looking for tips, its a lot of work and I dont want to start out wrong. Thanks!

I am cleaning out a tank for reuse (55). I have all the fish re-homed. This tank had algae pretty bad. I have rinsed and scrubbed all the rocks and driftwood and they cleaned up fairly easy. I will probably get new sand and treat it like a new tank but I would like to reuse some of the rocks and driftwood. Wondering if I should let everything dry completely before setting it up again or is it better to keep the rocks wet? Will the algae start up again using the old rocks? Looking for tips, its a lot of work and I dont want to start out wrong. Thanks!
The problem's not with your decor, but your water/lighting

Yeah, I think it was lighting - I had leds, I kept cutting back on the time they were on but it never went away. I am changing to coralife fluoresents.

Cut is it OK to reuse the driftwood and rocks? I rinsed everything in hot water and scrubbed, is that good enough?

I normally do a vinegar bath for stuff, but it's not exactly necessary, we just have a lot of vinegar in our home (use it as a safer alternative to most commercial cleaners)

Back
Top Bottom